Asr

Funny.

I didn't get a owner's manual with my car.

I tried the the old skool way.

Turned it off, floored it.

It was raining though. That was fun...

It feels like a TC system that works by cutting the ignition rather than braking the individual wheels.

I'm not sure 100% though.

Funny.

I didn't get a owner's manual with my car.

I tried the the old skool way.

Turned it off, floored it.

It was raining though. That was fun...

It feels like a TC system that works by cutting the ignition rather than braking the individual wheels.

I'm not sure 100% though.

It will cut throttle ( as your throttle should be fly by wire) and also can apply the brakes on any wheel.

It will cut throttle ( as your throttle should be fly by wire) and also can apply the brakes on any wheel.

ASR on our cars doesn't use the brakes. You would have to have paid the extra for ESP to get that feature.

And again... by cut, we mean cut. Which is helpfull on a roundabout you've just pulled on to!

I used to suffer this with it and realised that it dropped you into turbo lag hence all power is taken for far to long. If you spool the turbo first you can achieve some impressive launches especially in the wet and now I wouldn't be without it, and when it snowed it came into it's own when going up hills :thumbup:

Mmmm good.

I just need to get the damn car back now.

It seems that Quaife put the gearbox back together with chocolate bearings.

i.e. they melted right away.

Mike is trying to sort it before my holiday on Saturday.

I seem to be mentioning it in every thread but I really miss my car.

It is on my mind all the time.

I used to suffer this with it and realised that it dropped you into turbo lag hence all power is taken for far to long. If you spool the turbo first you can achieve some impressive launches especially in the wet and now I wouldn't be without it, and when it snowed it came into it's own when going up hills :thumbup:

That's not how ASR should be working?

If it senses wheel slippage, it kills power, hence it leaving me stranded on a roundabout. Foot to the floor and it would not rev, give it a moments and I was off. And it should be off in the snow, as by design it'll cut the power all the time as there is very little traction.

That's not how ASR should be working?

If it senses wheel slippage, it kills power, hence it leaving me stranded on a roundabout. Foot to the floor and it would not rev, give it a moments and I was off. And it should be off in the snow, as by design it'll cut the power all the time as there is very little traction.

ASR works on similar principals as abs albeit in reverse. The idea is that the tyre has the most point of traction just before it lets go, ASR senses the wheels losing grip and cuts then applies throttle continually and faster than the driver could. With a spooled turbo I find it takes off without I am stranded until the revs build and the turbo kicks in.

I also found it to be good in the snow and couldn't get up the hill into my street without it when we had the snow. The council in their wisdom put a speed hump at the entrance to my street so you have to slow down, not ideal when you need a run at a snowy slope :rotz: Trust me I tried climbing it with it off and just sat spinning but once it was on I inched my way slowly :thumbup:

VAG Group ASR is rubbish anyway, if you look at the youtube videos of fifth gear testing the jaguar on sheet ice it seems to perfectly get the perfect amount of throttle, there much better systems on other cars too, VAG ASR is intrusive and it's not very smooth in it's operation either

Still it's helped me out a few times in bad weather so cant complain too much, but then I have ESP too which is a very good product indeed

ASR works on similar principals as abs albeit in reverse. The idea is that the tyre has the most point of traction just before it lets go, ASR senses the wheels losing grip and cuts then applies throttle continually and faster than the driver could. With a spooled turbo I find it takes off without I am stranded until the revs build and the turbo kicks in.

I also found it to be good in the snow and couldn't get up the hill into my street without it when we had the snow. The council in their wisdom put a speed hump at the entrance to my street so you have to slow down, not ideal when you need a run at a snowy slope :rotz: Trust me I tried climbing it with it off and just sat spinning but once it was on I inched my way slowly :thumbup:

Still... shouldn't be working in this way! Check the forum for all the people crying about not being able to drive in the last big snow fall we had, and they were all told to turn the ASR off, as it detects the slip and effectively stops the car because it's constantly slipping. Without it on, you at least have the option of going forward using your own skill and judgement without any electronic intervention. It has nothing to do with the turbo spooling. It's not like there was "low" power, there was no power. The throttle was cut completely then came back in, making it very dangerous. And the human intervention is more accurate and faster than the ECU. All this has been discussed at great length before!

VAG Group ASR is rubbish anyway, if you look at the youtube videos of fifth gear testing the jaguar on sheet ice it seems to perfectly get the perfect amount of throttle, there much better systems on other cars too, VAG ASR is intrusive and it's not very smooth in it's operation either

Still it's helped me out a few times in bad weather so cant complain too much, but then I have ESP too which is a very good product indeed

It's the ESP that's helped, not ASR!

Still... shouldn't be working in this way! Check the forum for all the people crying about not being able to drive in the last big snow fall we had, and they were all told to turn the ASR off, as it detects the slip and effectively stops the car because it's constantly slipping. Without it on, you at least have the option of going forward using your own skill and judgement without any electronic intervention. It has nothing to do with the turbo spooling. It's not like there was "low" power, there was no power. The throttle was cut completely then came back in, making it very dangerous. And the human intervention is more accurate and faster than the ECU. All this has been discussed at great length before!

agreed....

i couldn't move for toffee with my ASR on. as soon as i hit the button, i was cruising past everyone.