timing chain types and gaskets

Hi.

Im considering chainging my timing chain and noticed that there are two chains available from jorily. One for before 98 and one for after.

Does anyone know what the difference is?

Also is it really necessary to replace the timing cover gasket + oil seal, and sump gasket ? :confused:

I think after 98 will be for the MPI. I think you'll find when you remove those parts that the old gaskets fall to bits and are unusable. Or if they appear reusable, there will be oil leaks after. Better safe than sorry IMO :)

Hi.

Im considering chainging my timing chain and noticed that there are two chains available from jorily. One for before 98 and one for after.

Does anyone know what the difference is?

The ID of the crank sprocket is different between the pre-MPi and post-MPi engines, other than that they're the same - obviously you need the right one to fit your crank!

I think for the sake of a few quid it is better to change the oil seal and gasket as you have the sump and cover off anyway so you might as well.

You feeling confident about doing it? It's not actually a really hard job but will take pretty much all day in my experience after you've scraped off all the old gaskets etc.

Phil

I've tried not replacing the oil seals (on two cars I've done the timing chains on), and both of them leaked. Replacing the seal isn't hard with it in situ, but for the sake of £4 or so, it's not worth it....

Thanks for the advice. Im a little hard up at the moment and was stupidly thinking of ways to penny pinch!

Last oil change I skipped changing the filter!! :gapteeth: seems ok but wouldnt do it again.

ooo one more question, do you need a torque wrench to do this? Im never sure how tight to do things up so i always just do things up tightly, but this could damage gaskets right?

I didn't use one last time and just did them nice and tight although I have since invested in a torque wrench and would definitely recommend using one just to be safe. Do you have a haynes as that lists all the right torque settings?

Phil

I use a torque wrench that's generally around for £15. It's sold under various brands like Challenge in Argos, and Clarke in Screwfix and Machine Mart. Lidl recently had them but can't remember the price.

You can make a guess at torque, for example 5lbs/ft is approximately 5lbs of weight applied 12" out from the centre of the socket (hopefully I got my physics right there). Think of it in terms of number of bags of sugar, make a guess, and you won't be that far out on the low torques.