upgrade front-lighting... US blinkers, daytime running lights,...?

berre

Hi guys,

I'm looking to improve my front-lighting, I feel it's a bit boring, it misses something...

First option would be to fit xenon but the headlights are just way to expensive for me

I've been thinking of modding my blinkers so they are constantly burning on 40% or so (US style)... or maybe adding daytime running lights which seems to be a trend today?

Key factor is that is has to look OEM even if it isn't, I don't want it to look cheap... I think this guy did a good job fitting DRL's but I don't have a close-up picture switched off so I have no idea if they are decently fitted

144933.jpg

OEM fog lights would also be considerable if they weren't so butt-ugly integrated... it looks like they are going to pop-out any minute... are these even OEM?

145303.jpg

A mate of mine is trying to convince me to get the so-called devil-eyes but I feel they don't suit the car at all or is this just me?

o1-dev-b4.jpg

1415pn9.jpg

Anyway... thoughts and ideas appreciated

cheers

B

I've been looking into DRL's...

I would prefer the one's from Hella because they are dimmable, only downside is that they are 36mm high... The height I've got available in my bumpergrille is only 25mm :(

I don't want to cut in the grille because that would just look dodgy so I looked around for some other brands and found that the in-pro ones are 22mm high which should be a perfect fit... unfortunatly they can't be dimmed.

Here they are under a roomster, what do you think?

index.php?page=RGalleryImageWrapper&itemID=2581&type=image

Cheers

B

well to be honest I've been photoshopping a bit yesterday and I can't get it to look right... it always feels a bit that the DRL's just don't suit the car... they look great on audi's and some other more ahum *don't shoot me* modern cars but I'm not sure about the octavia.... this can also be related to my photoshopping skills off course :-)

I did find a lot of ugly looking DRL's on the web tough... the only ones which look OEM that I've found so far are Hella, In.Pro and Nolden (distributed via Millotec)

I'm a also bit afraid that the bright white light would stand out to my OEM non-xenon headlights

Rob, apparently you've fitted them, can you post a pic here please?

Cheers

B

nice car Rob !!

The DRL's look nicely fitted but I get a bit the same feeling that I had with my photoshops... although it doesn't feel wrong on your car with the xenon's but I feel that they attract a lot of attention because they are so bright...

I also just found out that apparently DRL's aren't legal in my country (belgium) if they aren't an option on the model of car you drive. I found a forum where already a bunch of guys were fined quite a lot of money for them so I think I'm going to leave it as is...

might still go for the US lights though

002358.jpg

Cheers

B

indeed, that guy has the best looking headlights ever for an Octavia... angeleyes and blackened xenons are home-made though...

he also has DLR... dimmable from Hella if I'm not mistaking

b_004151.jpg

Cheers

B

what do you like exactly?

the US blinkers can be installed LHD or RHD, doesn't matter... you can get the modules on ebay

the DRL's are from hella... also LHD or RHD doesn't matter

the headlights themselves are OEM xenon (available in LHD or RHD) but they have been custimized by the owner: partially painted black + added the angel-rings

cheers

b

what do you like exactly?

the US blinkers can be installed LHD or RHD, doesn't matter... you can get the modules on ebay

the DRL's are from hella... also LHD or RHD doesn't matter

the headlights themselves are OEM xenon (available in LHD or RHD) but they have been custimized by the owner: partially painted black + added the angel-rings

cheers

b

Sounds about right! I like the lamps themselves! I can forget that then. Couldn't afford OEM Xenons, even if I did have the balls to mod them myself.

I'm also a fan of the LED's, bit I also agree that it's only worth it if you can get them to look OEM. For instance, when they are turned off, you can't see any obvious attatchments or wires. I've just bought a black L&K hatchback and i'm very tempted to make an already smart car look even smarter!

• 1 month later...

I get the feeling we're heading down the Max Power route here folks. What's next, neons underneath and Fast and Furious style body kits? It's a slippery slope into oblivion and can happen without you realising.:P

OOHH interesting, have you got any pics? :cool:

No, but head over to the Citroen C2 owners site and you'll be greeted by all the gaudy tat you could ever desire...

The C2 Sports Club C2SC Forums C2 Chat General C2 jap style c2

Have a look at the 6th post and you'll see what I mean. I used to own a C2 GT and left the site because it became apparent that the forums were being taken over by the Max Power brigade. I took shelter in here, but it seems that some have followed me....:eek:

@ skinnyman... not to worry, I renounce any form of neon outside red-light-districts :D

Well my findings so far for me personally:

the devileyes headlights don't match the car... they might look reasonably "ok" by themselves but when you put them on an octavia it just doesn't add up

same for DLR's, it's hard to find a set with correct dimensions to build in kinda OEM but even when you do, they still don't seems to suit the car because everybody knows LED DLR's are put on very recent cars. DLR's would suit the O2 or new superb in my opinion, but it just doesn't feel right on a O1.

US lights are the only thing I'm going to experiment with because it uses the OEM blinker so it looks OEM, no added visible components. It's also "not modern" so it might just suit the car...

I'll keep you guys updated

cheers

B

@ skinnyman... not to worry, I renounce any form of neon outside red-light-districts :D

Glad to hear it berre.:thumbup:

I have a confession to make. When I first viewed the post I was at work. It filtered out some of the pics for reasons only known to the geeks in the I.T. department. Having now seen the full range of pics I will water down my remarks and say that I quite like berre's offerings.

I still have reservations that people will perceive us to be Skoda owners trying to make the cars look like 3 series Beemers and cheapo Audis all rolled into one. Round here, there are all sorts of rubbish cars with Lexus style, BMW style and Audi style add ons that make the owners seem desperate to make the car into something it isn't.

I'm not having a pop at anyone personally, I'm merely trying to be the voice of caution in this dizzy world of modification madness.:D

• 8 years later...
On 2009.08.19. at 22:53, DarkPeakCycles said:

145303.jpg

The lower fog lights aren't standard as they are integrated into the Headlight unit.

Hi, please can you tell me from what car is that lower grill? I want to upgrade my skoda front fog lights but I can't find best grill which fit best.

On 5/3/2018 at 19:30, eds1987 said:

Hi, please can you tell me from what car is that lower grill? I want to upgrade my skoda front fog lights but I can't find best grill which fit best.

You shouldnt bump such an old thread but nevertheless, lower grille, think they're Milotec. Bumper is standard otherwise.