Low Beams not working

Hello!

Picked my 03 fabia 1.9TDi on monday, been really impressed with it so far! Noticed while driving home this evening that neither of my low beam lights are working. Might of been this way when i picked the car up, not sure. Not very good with cars and wondering if it's just the bulbs that need replacing? Seems strange they'd both be out. Checked the manual and it says there is a warning light for bulb failure which hasn't come on?

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,

George

If the bulbs are OK I would also be tempted to check the switch.

My fabia TDI never had a bulb out warning, but it was 3 years older than yours so things could have changed in that respect.

Also, worth checking fuses 50 & 54 (15 amp) as they are the left & right low beam ones.

If the bulbs are OK I would also be tempted to check the switch.

My fabia TDI never had a bulb out warning, but it was 3 years older than yours so things could have changed in that respect.

Also, worth checking fuses 50 & 54 (15 amp) as they are the left & right low beam ones.

Just tried swapping some 15amp fuses for things that are working with the headlight ones, no joy. How do i go about checking the switch? I'll check the bulbs in the morning, i guess its pretty obvious if the filament is burnt out on them?

Well, the filament won't be a continuous coil. Usually when they go the entire filament kind of blows up and nothing's left at all. As for the switch? Not sure how to test it - Obvious way is to get a brand new one and plug it in.

Does yours have front fogs? I have a spare headlight switch for non front foglight equipped cars.

Well, the filament won't be a continuous coil. Usually when they go the entire filament kind of blows up and nothing's left at all. As for the switch? Not sure how to test it - Obvious way is to get a brand new one and plug it in.

Does yours have front fogs? I have a spare headlight switch for non front foglight equipped cars.

I might take a voltmeter to the low beam bulb holders tomorrow, see if there is any juice going to them. It has got front fogs, any idea how much a switch could cost? Could it be a loose connection rather than a faulty switch?

Thanks for the advice!

edit : how hard is the switch to remove?

Switch is a bit of a sod. You have to turn it to the fogs off position I think and firmly pull it.

For peace of mind, I would rather remove that lower dash part - Torx 20 fittings low down, and also behind the steering wheel, need to pull back that plastic flap that goes under the speedo to expose it.

Switch is a bit of a sod. You have to turn it to the fogs off position I think and firmly pull it.

Close, I had it out this morning. When in the off position, you need to push the dial into the dash, then turn it to sidelights which will realease the catch, then it (in theory) pulls out, although mine was pretty stiff. Once off its the yellow and green wire is for the headlamps.

HTH, Joe

Close, I had it out this morning. When in the off position, you need to push the dial into the dash, then turn it to sidelights which will realease the catch, then it (in theory) pulls out, although mine was pretty stiff. Once off its the yellow and green wire is for the headlamps.

HTH, Joe

I knew it was something like that :D Not done one in ages though.