Faulty Phone, alternative phone offered, where do I stand?

knealeedis

My mobile phone Sony Ericcson C905 has just developed a fault and the ear piece nolonger works so I cant hear anything.

I have reported this to O2 and was told this is a common fault.

They have just got back to me and said they are out of stock and dont know when they will be able to offer a replacement snd offered a couple of alternative phones for replacement

Nokia 5800

or SE W980i

Looking at the details of these phones I'm not really interested in either as I'm going from an 8MP camera to something much less.

My question is where do I stand regarding my 18 month contract with O2, I took out the contract, and am also paying for phone insurance. My phone develops a fault and through warrenty they cant replace it cus its not available and im not keen on the alternatives.

Is this in breach of my contract with O2 and should I push for a phone I prefere even if it incurrs a little extra cost? or am I withing my rights to tell them they cannot keep their part of the contract and end it early leaving me open to look around for a better deal?

Finally, where do I stand regarding my phone insurance they I am paying me for? I know in this instance I am not caliming on the insurance, but if I was, and they cannot offer me a replacement under the terms of the insurance withing the agreed time, how do I stand with the fact they arfe taking money off me for something they cannot provide?

Advice would be appriciated, I will be on the phone to them tomorrow, and tempted to try and push for an iPhone, if I could get one, I wouldnt object to paying a little extra, but would want a better deal then they are offering new customers because of the problems and to compensate for lack of a phone over the weekend.

Warranty will say replace or repair, so can they not repair it?

A repair option is has been offered but in their e-mail they have said due to low stock leveles they would not reconmend repair and would suggest I chose one of the alternative phones.

Also having found out the earpiece fault is a common problem with this phone (and O2 have told me this themselves) I would prefere not to have a repair and then have further problems in the future.

I have also noted that most phone providors are nolonger offering this model even though it is still a failry recent model.

You can't get parts for a lot of the issues with the C905 and for the same reasons there is poor availability of exchange stock. Your better off without it being one of the worst handsets I have ever come across.

All the MP rating of a camera means is the size of the photo, it's not alwaysd directly linked to the quality, it's just a number to make you buy it. I have a 6mp SLR which I bet takes a far better picture than your 8mp phone

Very common fault - my wife's phone had it and Vodafone swapped for a new one.

I had a bronze one with another common fault - terrible reception. Carphone Warehouse gave me a brand new one.

My current phone I bought second hand and has yet another common fault - sticking keys that are hard to press - no warranty :(

It's a fantastic phone but the reliability is rock bottom - I'd never get one without a proper warranty.

Take the 5800. It's not a bad phone, and as decron says, MPs aren't everything. It's all about resolution...

The 5800 is a nice little phone with a good interface, a pretty good camera and surprisingly good built in speakers so that would be my choice.