Roof bars

Richf

I bought the Skoda superb mk 2 roof ars from my dealer last week. they are really great and very easy to put on and take off with the special tool provided. They do need setting up though for the first time and my dealer was very helpful in doing that at the garage before I left.

I bought the OEM roof bars, and I do believe they are made by THULE. At least they look very THULE to me.:sqwink:

Classy looking bars I must admit, but they set me back a good £300.

how much:eek:

goodness me !! thule ones are about £50 arent they

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Oooh Thule roof bars...

Help please...I just spent a very frustrating 90 minutes in the cold trying to get Thule Aero bars on my Superb. Now the man on the phone (that old chestnut) told me that I needed the same Thule feet (pack number 754) as the old Superb model.

Can I get to fit? Can I A**E!

Grateful for any help please or suggestions!

Cheers.

looking on "RoofRackShop.co.uk" it seems to suggest that you also need:Thule Rapid Fitting Kit 1495

"Thule Rapid System Fitting Kit, required to complete roof bar application with Thule 754 foot pack & Thule roof bars. A fitting kit comprises of coated clamps and rubber base pads, which are shaped to fit the contours of your vehicle perfectly. In many cases when moving between gutterless vehicles, the fitting kit is the only part of the roof rack system you require to change."

Dont know for sure, as i've never used a rack - Current car is WAY too high for 5'6" me to load the roof!

Al.

Oooh Thule roof bars...

Help please...I just spent a very frustrating 90 minutes in the cold trying to get Thule Aero bars on my Superb. Now the man on the phone (that old chestnut) told me that I needed the same Thule feet (pack number 754) as the old Superb model.

Can I get to fit? Can I A**E!

Grateful for any help please or suggestions!

Cheers.

System for the Old Superb is not good for the New Superb.

View link. I know, is Romanian but you`ll find the codes that you need. :) I have this system for my car. http://www.portbagaj.ro/index.php?FormName=Keres&FormAction=search&lap=fo&show=1&ID=26&T=〈=2&cikkcsop=32&gyarto_id=16864

Edited by xxleeus

The Thule roof bars I used on my old Mk1 Superb fits the new one fine, but that was because they are for a Rover 75 and that uses the same Foot Pack (754) as the new Superb, I just 'made' them fit the older car ! I only used them very occasionally, but now it's a bonus that they fit my new one perfectly. What's even better is that they were only £25 off ebay.

Edited by rosesteve

• 4 months later...

I just bought a set of Thule roof bars from RoofRack.co.uk - Big mistake

I'm exchanging them for the Altera Signo ones.

Reasons:

1) Load capacity: The Thule Bars are only rated for 50kg on a superb - I guess this is due to the way the foot pack sits above the rear door - it's fully on the sloped section past the gutter - it therefore is kept in place by the tension on the opposite fitting kit - not good. - the photos of the altera bars show them sitting much more firmly placed

These bars are rated for 100kg - the same as the OEM bars.

I put a roof box on the car - it weighs 19 kg (big one) - adding 7kg for the bars themselves this leaces only 24kg for load in the box - that's tiny and not fit for purpose - hense the swap over.

Luckily the nice people at roofbox.co.uk are happy to swap the bars over for me.

The locator lug on the Thule bars is central on the clamp - on the Thule and OEM ones its set to one side - I wonder if this also affects the load carrying - it means the footing is not where Skoda expected it to be.

I would strongly advise against the Thule bar systems for this car - get the Altera ones or the OEM ones (they are made by altera). Ironically they are cheaper than the Thule ones into the bargain.

The OEM bars can carry 100kg.

The Altera bars can carry the same. I believe Altera make the OEM bars.

All other makes of bars can only carry 50kg - including Thule Aerobars (according to the instructions in the fitting kit)

this is very low, and you need to include the weight of the bars themselves. - 50 kg is not enough if you want to put anything other than bikes up there. - you cant even put 4 bikes up on a 50kg load

To fit the Thule bars (754 pack) you need to loosen the clamp as far as possible or the clamps wont reach around the top of the door frame. - this was a particular problem at the back where the frame is especially wide.

A bike in a carrier weighs about 20 kg. - before you add extra locks or accessories. therefore on a Thule bar system you can only carry 2 bikes safely!!! 2*20 + 7 = 47KG for bars + 2 bikes.

I bought a large roof box - it weighs 19 kg therefore before I put anything into the box I've used up 26 KG - more than half my permitted maximum on the Thule system.

The 100kg load is really necessary