How to change from variable to fixed servicing?

rk696

Hi fellow Briskodians,

How do I change the service schedule on my Mk1 Octavia vrs from variable to fixed? I only do roughly 7000 miles a year, so I think that the fixed schedule would be more suited to me.

It was last serviced about 2 months ago, so the service light won't come on for probably 15k yet.

Do I have to wait for the service light to come on before I can change the schedule or can I do it anytime?

Also, just out of interest, does a 2005 octavia vrs have a plastic water pump, or have vag realised their mistake and fitted a metal one? I'm planning on doing a full service at 60k miles (51k at the moment), and changing the cambelt and maybe water pump too.

I've been looking over the forum for hours, but can't find an answer. :cry:

Edited by rk696
Asked about the water pump

I replaced my water pump a year ago with genuine and new one still plastic , my old one was fine at 90k.Not something I am going to worry about personally. If you reset the service via the buttons on the dash , I seem to remember it puts you on a fixed interval,

hth, Dave