Considering buying an 06 vRS

This one

Does anyone recognise it and know anything about it ?

I've had a brief look at it and a quick test drive and it seems all good.

They had only just got it when I saw it, so I'm going back once it's all valeted and made even more shiny.

Once thing though, there is a dent in the sill on the drivers door. The salesman seemed to think it was down to the previous owner driving with his elbow on the sill and a hand on the wheel.

Is that a common problem? Seems pretty weak to me!

I've also noticed the side support of the drivers seat has already started to give up. Is that normal on these seats after 43k miles ?

From lurking here and flicking around autotrader and parkers, the price seems perhaps a little high but not outrageous.

This is the most I will have ever paid for a car, so I'm after any advice you helpful bunch can offer! :D

Cheers!

You're doing it wrong! Golf VR6 is better than Fabia vRS! :D

lol, thanks for the tip!

But my golf VR6 is getting a little long in the tooth now, and isn't as kiddie friendly. Particularly in terms of carrying paraphenalia!!

Besides which, I'm after an Octavia vRS, not a Fabia.

Looks a pretty good one, although as you say the price has some manoevering to be done on it as always! Its got the comfort pack which was optional at the time with rear leccy windows, jumbo box & 18" Zenith alloys, also looks like its got cruise control & I think maxidot judging by the fact the bottom 1/2 of the display isnt black as it would be with a non-maxidot so a reasonable spec. The seat base side bolster seems to take a bit of a battering as your butt flattens the side as you slide in & out, I just try to sit down onto the seat rather than slide into it, plus leather seat cream helps keep it supple and not crease. The dent in the drivers window sill sounds odd though, the sill is very high when your sat in it so cant see it being comfortable to leave your elbow up there to drive! I'd ask them to replace it as part of the sale & see what they say.

Looks a pretty good one, although as you say the price has some manoevering to be done on it as always! Its got the comfort pack which was optional at the time with rear leccy windows, jumbo box & 18" Zenith alloys, also looks like its got cruise control & I think maxidot judging by the fact the bottom 1/2 of the display isnt black as it would be with a non-maxidot so a reasonable spec. The seat base side bolster seems to take a bit of a battering as your butt flattens the side as you slide in & out, I just try to sit down onto the seat rather than slide into it, plus leather seat cream helps keep it supple and not crease. The dent in the drivers window sill sounds odd though, the sill is very high when your sat in it so cant see it being comfortable to leave your elbow up there to drive! I'd ask them to replace it as part of the sale & see what they say.

Thanks! I had no idea about an extras pack.

Is there anything I ought to look at on the dash when I go to see it, to confirm it's a maxidot?

I've seen that term banded about, what does it add ?

By "jumbo box", are you referring to the exhaust ?

Hello mate, my vRS has covered 45,000 and the miles and the seats look brand new. :thumbup:You will know its maxidot as the front lcd display will be full size (as oppossed to half of it being covered) quite obvious when you actually look at it. And the jumbo box is the big storage box/arm rest by the hand brake (this option also adds rear lecky windows. Also it has an Ipod/mp3 AUX connector in it and is linked to your cars A/C to keep you chocy bars cool in the summer. :D

I paid the same for mine from a main dealer,Included a major service(with new pads,discs

and tyres on the front) a mileage guarantee and 12 months warranty.

It's just my opinion but i would look towards the main dealers at that price.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 T FSI vRS - Dennis Horton Dennis Horton - Dennis Horton

Also my interior is like new,is the mileage correct?

Hello mate, my vRS has covered 45,000 and the miles and the seats look brand new. :thumbup:You will know its maxidot as the front lcd display will be full size (as oppossed to half of it being covered) quite obvious when you actually look at it. And the jumbo box is the big storage box/arm rest by the hand brake (this option also adds rear lecky windows. Also it has an Ipod/mp3 AUX connector in it and is linked to your cars A/C to keep you chocy bars cool in the summer. :D

Ahh, yes the box between the seats. Thanks for that !

What an important feature, keeping chocolate cool in summer, I like it ! :D

I paid the same for mine from a main dealer,Included a major service(with new pads,discs

and tyres on the front) a mileage guarantee and 12 months warranty.

It's just my opinion but i would look towards the main dealers at that price.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 T FSI vRS - Dennis Horton Dennis Horton - Dennis Horton

Also my interior is like new,is the mileage correct?

Hmmm, seems there's some definite room for negotiation then!

Maybe I've painted a bad picture. The interior, aside from the odd dent in the drivers sill, the slightly saggy drivers seat side support, and scuffs on the plastic pillar by the driver from the seatbelt, is excellent.

Once it's had a valet, I'm sure it'll look even better.

Have to say though, that link does seem to have about the same deal, but if they chuck in 12 month warranty, then that's worth haggling for.

The place I saw the one in the link I posted offer 3month with the car, or 12month for another £199!

They do service, valet, mot etc. as a matter of course apparently.

As far as I know the mileage is genuine, but I've not yet seen the paperwork.

When I speak to them next, I'll be confirming that they've done an HPI check.

Just had an update from the garage.

As they were having trouble locating the service book for the car, they've called the garage that did it's mot and are trying to contact the previous owner.

The salesman also said they would be attempting to get copies of the receipts for services from the previous garage.

They've said they'll get the local Skoda dealer in Bedford to do a full service on it, and they will give me 12months warranty as well.

On top of that, the salesman seems to think there is a local chap who can replace the foam in the drivers door for under £100. I'm going to get the number from him and get a quote. See if I can use that as a bargaining tool.

I'm a little dubious of a 3year old car without it's service book, but on the flip side they seem to be going to some lengths to retrieve the information and have said they will throw in the service and 12month warranty either way.

If they can't find the service book, but do manage to get receipts for previous services, would I be mental to seriously consider buying this car ?

Edited by Moge
typo

Even better.

They've got all the history now, plus V5 and spare key!

It will still get a 12month warranty, and will have a Skoda service if it hasn't just been done.

I'm feeling a little more confident now, so going for another drive at the weekend :thumbup:

Remember the golden rule of buying a second hand car - don't buy the first you see!

There are lots out there and it's always a buyers market. Good luck.

Steve

Thanks!

I haven't found that many as it happens. Not at my budget anyway.

I know I shouldn't really be thinking about this one as it is the first I've actually had a go in, but it's really tempting !:D

Will probably take my old man along at the weekend for a sanity check.