Tax and Log book problem

ruku

I'll make this as simple as I can. Lol, although it's pretty complicated really.

As some may know I bought my mk2 Golf off oilburninut.

Both me and oilburninut went to wales when he bought it.

All paperwork was signed and supposedly sent off by the guy in wales.

3 days later I bought the car off oilburninut obviously signing no paperwork yet as the logbook hadn't arrived, but that didn't matter as we are both mates.

Anyway that was about 4 weeks ago or so.

I have since realised that the tax is due on the 30th of this month so we tried chasing up the log book.

The guy in wales said he definitely sent the log book off and has thus washed his hands of it, but the DVLA say that he is still the registered keeper :/

I want to declare it as SORN and have found that I need a certificate of insurance and an MOT certificate. But It is now uninsured so how can I go about getting the tax sorted when there is no Logbook and I have no insurance on it?

BTW the v5c (new keepers supplement) has been lost somewhere :thumbdwn:

Any questions you may need to clarify the situation I will answer!

Thanks in advance people!

Edit - All I want to do is make sure that Oilburninut doesn't get a fine for it not being re-taxed. I know I can't get the fine as I have signed nothing at all to do with the car.

If Oilburnit doesn't have the v5 either I don't think he'll get fined. Ring the guy up in wales and tell him the DVLA haven't recieved what he "says" he's sent. He'll have to send a letter stating he sold it to Gary, so that Gary can get the V5 to then transfer to you.

Just mention to the guy in wales that whilst the DVLA have the golf registered to him, he'll get the fine for it being untaxed. That should speed the process up ;)

i think you'll need to apply for a new v5 in your name. without the new keepers supplement (the little greeen slip) you'll need to pay the fee of £25; but at least that way you're guaranteed getting the log book in your name, then you can look at declaring it SORN...

And FWIW you DON'T need MOT or insurance to declare it SORN - you only need those to retax it.

You could always phone DVLA and explain the situation to them - they're usually quite helpful...(they'll certainly tell you if they have a keeper transfer in process)

HTH

John

You've got 2 options :

Find the green bit 'new keeper suppliment' as you can use that to tax it (as long as you have a valid mot and insurance).

Apply for a logbook in your name at your local DVLA office and tax it at the same time as handing the form in.

Downside is that is gonna cost you £41 to apply for the logbook. If you can find the green bit and submit that at the same time as submitting the log book application for you won't have to pay the £41 fee.

But your not the registered keeper ? You need to get the previous welsh keeper to tell the DVLA he no longer owns the car. Otherwise the DVLA will never put the motor in your name. If you could just fill in a form then I could take ownership of any car I wanted.........

see what I mean ?

Head... wall... bang !!! Head... wall... bang !!!!

No amount of form filling will work, without the previous keeper confirming it's been sold. I've been in the EXACT same situation as Luke was last year when I bought and auction banger without a V5.

Head... wall... bang !!! Head... wall... bang !!!!

No amount of form filling will work, without the previous keeper confirming it's been sold. I've been in the EXACT same situation as Luke was last year when I bought and auction banger without a V5.

Yes, it will. I know, because I have had an "in depth" learning session from DVLA during the course of an investigation into someone who was fraudulently obtaining cherished registration marks then selling them on...

It works like this.

1 You fill in the V62 application

2 DVLA write to the registered keeper telling them someone else is applying for a log book

3 They either (a) write back confirming they sold it (in which case you get your new V5)

or (B) they write back saying they haven't sold it (in which case you get nothing)

or © they do nothing (in which case DVLA issue YOU with a new V5 after 3 weeks)

So basically unless the registered keeper responds within 3 weeks to say you are not the new owner, DVLA will issue you with a new V5 (this is how the guy I was looking at was able to obtain so many private registrations off cars that he never really owned!)

Yes, it will. I know, because I have had an "in depth" learning session from DVLA during the course of an investigation into someone who was fraudulently obtaining cherished registration marks then selling them on...

Someone around here was doing that with prestige cars that were parked long term, stealing them, then gaining the paperwork. Incredible.

Phil

Ah !!!

seems like we're both saying the same thing from point 2 onwards john. The issue Luke will have is probably with the old keeper replying to the DVLA

Spot on mate - the only difference is that the old keeper doesn't actually need to do anything - which is quite a flawed system if you're a criminal, or have a "contact" in DVLA that can tell you what cars haven't been seen or used on the roads in a few years - you then apply for a log book for that car, the owner doesn't reply because he is (a) dead

(B) moved to a new address

© on a long holiday

and you get yourself a log book with a nice private number on it!

Then start the cherished transfer process (obviously there are a few other obstacles to overcome that I won't go into here...:D)

Right, filled in the V62 and also the V890

Hoping that I can take them down to the DVLA local office just to get them checked, then I can send them off.

I have PM'd the previous registered owner on ED38 as when I called DVLA, although they cant give me any information, they did inform me that the previous registered owner will be the one to receive a fine, if any.

I've informed him of this, but has decided to ignore it (you can tell when they were last active)

His loss, not mine, I have let him know after all.