Cam belt change

I've just had a letter from my friendly local dealer reminding me that the cam belt is due for replacement on my Octy 2.0tdi, it's now 4 years old and has done 49,000 miles.I've been quoted £349...special discount rate sir.i would like to know:

1) Is this necessary at such a low mileage

2) :OIs this a reasonable price?

Regards Monkster.

Monkster, I have my Oct II 2.0TDI booked in this Friday with a VW/Audi independent garage and am paying £400 for a timing belt change + new water pump. Most VW/Skoda independents will recommend replacing the water pump at the same time as it only costs around £30 and can be accessed easily once the timing belt is being removed. If the pump goes in the future it will cost £30 + 3 hours labour to fit.

My car has covered 54k miles but I understand the material used in manufacturing the timing belt is weakened over time so should be replaced at 4 years irrespective of mileage. I would'nt risk it myself.:)

Speaking to my local friendly Skoda idependent, they replace 30% of all water pumps on a first cam belt change and then find around 70% need doing between the 1st and 2nd cambelt change. Choice is yours, either add £50 to your bill now or £250 at some stage in the future.