Smoothed Bumper "Project" (Pics included!)

phillipssg

After getting a quote to get my bumper inserts filled for £310 I decided it would be cheaper and more fun for me to do it myself. So I bought this front bumper off ebay (incase I cocked it up and messed up the bumper on the car):

Bumper.jpg

And here's a couple of pics of my progress:

P1010127.jpg

P1010129.jpg

It's no where near finished yet (you can still faintly see the outline of where the insert used to be), I haven't been able to do any more work on it in the past few days as it's been raining. I have a question though, after applying the blue paint it seems really dull, how do I get it to shine? It's a gloss paint so I've been told it doesn't need lacquer..

May as well add a pic of my refurbed alloys, as you can tell by the paint on the tyre my masking skills need work :P

P1010128.jpg

UPDATE

One side is finished now, with a thin coat of primer :)

Just need to do the other side now.

P1010136.jpg

P1010137.jpg

Edited by phillipssg

Nice Work Tom!

Didn't expect as beautifully smooth results as that! A little more sanding and it'll be babys bum territory!

I've found with rattle cans that if you spray from to far away they don't get the nice shine, also if you move to quickly the same thing'll happen...but too close and or slow and they'll run / pit! I'm speculating but I guess you needs to get enough on in one "swoop" so it can settle into a single coat rather then loads of microscopic beads.. I may be talking BS though.. lol ;)

Did you sand between coats with a fine paper?

Did you get a quote for just paint from a body shop? with no filling or blending to do may come in much cheaper to help you finish off the job in style?

p.s. found this on google.

"Deflate the tyre and mask off, use parcel tape and you can use 2p coins stuch between the rum and tyre to push the defalted tyre away from the rim."

Edited by reflex88

Nice Work Tom!

Didn't expect as beautifully smooth results as that! A little more sanding and it'll be babys bum territory!

I've found with rattle cans that if you spray from to far away they don't get the nice shine, also if you move to quickly the same thing'll happen...but too close and they'll run / pit! I'm speculating but I guess you needs to get enough on in one "swoop" so it can settle into a single coat rather then loads of microscopic beads.. I may be talking BS though.. lol ;)

Did you sand between coats with a fine paper?

Did you get a quote for just paint from a body shop? with no filling or blending to do may come in much cheaper to help you finish off the job in style?

Nope I didn't sand between coats, but I will when I spray it properly :thumbup:, I only sprayed that part so the surface was a little shinier so I could see if there were any imperfections that needed sanding/filling. Ah I didn't think of getting a quote to just get it painted! I might actually do that now if I get a cheap enough quote ;)

Gob Smacked! Your making we wanna buy a face lift bumper for my vRS and smooth it all out!

So, am I right in thinking your the 1st to do a "Tash-B-Gone" Op on a Face lift Fab?

Haha, I hope I am, my car will be unique then :D

Hmmmm, Wonder how easy it'd be to graft and smooth on a Cupra Splitter before the paint goes on?? Not sure if the lip on the bottom would permit such a feat of fillerige! ;)

Great minds think alike! haha, I did think about slappin an LCR splitter then filling the gap between the splitter and the bumper, but the bottom of the bumper is too rounded and I don't think I'd be able to do a good job of it, or if it is even possible, plus I'm not 100% certain that it would look good