Control system for exhaust gases warning light

Well so far I have done nearly a thousand miles in 4 days with the light on, with no loss of power so far it stops and starts OK so hopefully it will just be a sensor or the lambada probe away, the only thing that is possibly wrong is its possibly using a bit more fuel, but that may be down to me giving it a roasting, to clean out the exhaust

I have wiggled all the pipes and connections on the EGR they are all secure

Got it scanned today, free it has come up with 2 fault codes.

437, Exhaust gas recirculation system less than minimum

271 glow plug cylinder number 4 temp to high.

They turned off the warning only to find it back on again after half an hour of use.

I was informed to bring it back if it came back on and if the same codes where showing they would start with the £5 glow plug first

437, Exhaust gas recirculation system less than minimum

271 glow plug cylinder number 4 temp to high.

Any Idea what the problem is I have checked the codes in the vag com list and they are not there

Hi,

I had the same symptoms.....exhaust gas warning light on with no loss of power but maybe a fractional loss in economy. The diagnostics always gave the same warning which was replace glowplug in number 3 cylinder.

Car was more in than out of the garage.....glowplugs replaced, new ECU, exhaust sensors replaced etc....

Turned out to be an earthing fault, which was one of the things that was checked first.

Although the bolt was tight, the plastic harness wasn't located properly so the plastic rim was breaking contact.

Had the car from new, but the problem did not manifest itself until about 10'000 miles.

I hope that helps. Tried to explain as well as I could but am not a technical person.

Just had my EGR Valve done under warranty and made such a difference; tis smooth and economical again without the feeling of the engine trying to rip itself to shreds on shutdown!

I did around 600miles on mine with the light on with the same symptoms

Would a good dollop of millers or the equivalent clean it out????

Nope fraid not. It is usually due to a build up of oil on the sides of the valve. You could try taking it off and cleaning it as that might help.

If you look here: http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/2-0-tdi-weird-engine-buzz-noise-when-not-running/156391/ you will see the valve in question on a BKD 2.0 TDI engine and see why Millers won't help. What engine code is yours and i'll see if I can find a similar picture

Not sure of the engine code but its a 55 plate 1.9tdi 105bhp

Which would be a BKC then I think.

The valve is probably at the back of the engine like on the other 1.9 PDs.

I'll do some digging for location

They are going to remove it and clean it out, but if it make no difference to the emissions check, I will ask them to blank it off

I hope this is whats required

EGR Valve Delete Power Pipe Golf Audi Seat Skoda Tdi on eBay (end time 09-Sep-09 09:52:28 BST)

Unless there is a better way

If you have the EGR delete pipe on then you will have a constant CEL light on and will have to be mapped out to get rid of it.

I think a clean up might sort it out though.A new EGR is about £150 i think :confused:

When I checked recently it was £160ish plus VAT

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I had the same symptoms.....exhaust gas warning light on with no loss of power but maybe a fractional loss in economy. The diagnostics always gave the same warning which was replace glowplug in number 3 cylinder.

Car was more in than out of the garage.....glowplugs replaced, new ECU, exhaust sensors replaced etc....

Turned out to be an earthing fault, which was one of the things that was checked first.

Although the bolt was tight, the plastic harness wasn't located properly so the plastic rim was breaking contact.

Had the car from new, but the problem did not manifest itself until about 10'000 miles.

I hope that helps. Tried to explain as well as I could but am not a technical person.

I can see your post here was some time ago so you may not remember, but if you can it would be great. Where abouts was the bad earth you mention? I've got fault codes on all 4 glow plugs (temp too high) and the Engine Management light is on with an 'Emissions Workshop!' message.