Looking after the Leather, VRS-LE

Hi All

Picked up my VRS LE on the 1st Sept so i can have a 59, i think its the dogs danglees :)

I was wondering if there is any advice on how to keep the superb lether seats looking like new. I was thinking it may be as easy and some mild soapy water for the odd spillage or wet coat rain residue. But would the leather benefit from a periodic treatment of some sort ?

thanks

GingerNinja

Edited by gingerninja
Spelt Title Wrong

Proper leather treatment normally contains a wax too - treat it like you would some nice leather shoes and nourish it with a proper leather treatment. Over time it goes more shiny as your bum/ back polishes it, and it can start to crinkle and crack so nourishment is essential to keep it supple.

For the cloth parts, a decent interior shampoo will do the trick but avoid getting it on the leather parts as it dries it out.

What I've found with my leather anyway. :)

Hi There,

I attended a local detailing meet the other week and there was a well known company (in the detailing world) there called LTT Leather Cleaner Care | Leather Care Products | Leather Furniture Repair | Leather Training & Technical They were demo-ing their products and also informing people of how to look after leather properly.

According to LTT there are 3 products you need to look after your leather, 2 types of Cleaner and a protector. The two cleaners are of varying strengths, one weaker cleaner for fortnightly/monthly cleaning which just requires wiping on, leaving a short time then wiping off and also a stronger foaming cleaner for when your leather has not been cleaned for some time or when you feel the leather has been heavily soiled which requires spreading evenly then aggitating with a soft bristled brush before wiping off with a cloth.

The protector is simply a spray on, wipe around and leave product and from the demos showed excellent protection against an oil they used to try penetrate the leather.

apparently all this thing with using conditioners on leather to soften it is a big myth and is a waste of time product, The reason leather looses its suppleness is because the moisture in the leather has evaporated so moisture needs putting back in, and the only type of moisture needed is water which comes in the cleaner I mentioned above.

People also think that the conditioners on the market also put oils back into the leather, this is wrong too as no natural oils can leave the leather as oils cannot evaporate.

Here is the link for the products I use: Auto Ultra 150 Kit | Leather Repair | Leather Cleaning Products and if you want a Leather care leaflet from them too you can register with them for a FREE leather care leaflet

You will be absolutely amazed at just how much dirt comes off your leather seats, I've attached a picture of the cloth (which was brand new) after I had finished cleaning the Leather on a 18 month old Audi RS6 I detailed a couple of weeks ago.......

IMG_3742.jpg

If you want any further info I will do my best to help. :thumbup:

I've been into detailing for a while now, and leather does not need fancy cleaners/conditioners to stay supple - the likes of which Halfords will sell.

As it's a natural fabric, all you need to do is keep it moisturised, so like paul2505 said LTT do some good products that just moisturise the leather.

Alternatively, I've heard recently on the grapevine that a good (cheap) alternative is to clean the leather down with a light cleaner (highly diluted Meguiars APC) and then just use baby wipes which return the moisture to the leather. Try that at your own risk, but it's what I'll be doing to the leather bits on my VRS seats.

One thing chaps, what will these cleaners do to the white fabric stitching of the LE seats and white leather piping? Will they discolour them?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_E9zBaY5bLkU/Sm4K4tf7TQI/AAAAAAAAGaY/N-vJHZTW-Ho/s576/DSCF1154-1.jpg

Edited by VRS-LE-OCT-II

The cleaner I mentioned is just a very mild foaming detergent that works on all types of leather, so you shouldn't have any issues just clean leather, piping and stitching too

To the guy who mentioned cleaning alcantara, if you start a new thread asking how to clean it there. I don't want to hijack the OP thread by discussing a different fabric and confusing the two different processes.

From experience just use baby wipes regularly and a conditioning cream to moisturise them once in a while. I had an L&K for over 18 months with the light grey seats which required a cleaner on the driver side only, but other that that a baby wipe was just the job. As these are black and dark grey there will be no need to use aggressive cleaners on them.

I use the Auto Glym leather care cream which I apply sparingly every few months. This seems to make the leather wipe very easily and keep it from drying out, although baby wipes do that anyway.

I've just read that using baby wipes is a bad idea as they're designed to deal with baby urine and can damage the seats. Was on wiki answers I think.

I'll be looking to get some decent leather treatment though such as the likes of LTT. How much does this sort of stuff cost?

EDIT - Just spoken to Seat Surgeons, they recommend products from Croftgate and nothing more than a cleaner used regularly. www.croftgate.com I think.

As I previously said, the use of cream conditioners adds nothing to the leather and in all honesty makes a messier job due to being a cream product i.e. getting product under the piping etc. Although this doesn't damage the seats it does lengthen your work time.

I personally wouldn't want to use baby wipes either as I have used them on my face and feel they leave a sticky feeling to my skin so wouldn't want to be applying that same feel to my leather.

Chrispy, I think I put a direct link in my original post to the exact LTT products I have, if I didn't then the products come to £45 but I got them for £30 as they did them at a special show price at the detailing meet I attended I think its called the auto kit if I remember rightly.

I also recommend their Leather essence too, smells absolutely lovely, like you have the finest Italian leather in your car, you simply put a few drops of it on a cotton pad (womens make up remover thing) then put it under the seats.

EDIT - Just spoken to Seat Surgeons, they recommend products from Croftgate and nothing more than a cleaner used regularly. Leather Care, Leather Cleaning, Car Cleaning Products, Car Leather Cleaner, Car Care, Valeting Suppliers - Croftgate I think.

A big :thumbup: for the Croftgate stuff - Seat Surgeons gave me a bottle of it when I had my Fabia seats done and I'm very impressed.

Great smell too - last time I cleaned the seats I had to go for a 20 min drive straight after just so I could sit and enjoy the aroma!

Guys all great advice thanks, having 3 kids under 7 i have a mountain of baby wipes spare !!

Most baby wipes have a main ingriedient of Water and a small amount of Caster (or similar) oil. so good natural components.

I have tried them this week and they seem a good cheap everyday solution. plus my seats are now as "soft as a babies bottom" LOL

Just spotted today in Wilkinsons (yes, I live the highlife) a couple of different brands of specific leather care wipes designed for both sofas and car seats - they work out at around £1.30 for 40 or 50 I think, so a bit more than baby wipes probably, but may be better for the leather for wiping spills etc (smell better too!) - look where they keep the pledge and mr sheen, but I'm sure other supermarkets etc will have em too...

any one know how to stop a leather steering wheel going shiney? I like mine how it comes from the factory with the matt sort of finish

I'll second that request!

I ended up replacing the wheel on my Punto after 50K because I simply couldn't live with the hard shiny wheel anymore!!!

There MUST be something that you can either use to prevent it happening in the first place or renovate a wheel back to matt?