TT Rack ?????

jaymd

I have a couple of part numbers for steering racks and i'm a little confused.Please can someone with ETKA comfirm either of these are the correct part numbers.

TT rack - 8N2 422 061 GX

VW rack - 1J2 422 060 GX

I'm after the 2.5 turn rack and think the TT part number is the correct one but really need it confirming.

TIA

Jay,

there are several tt rack part numbers,

mine (which i understand to be a quickrack from a broken 225bhp tt from what i can read says 8n2 422 061 but i cant read the letter after it)

some other tt racks are below.

Not sure if only the 225 bhp model was quickrack or if they all are though.

(1) 8N2422061G

steering box

rhd / fr.wheel drv

(1) 8N2422061GX

steering box

rhd / fr.wheel drv

(1) 8N2422061H

steering box

rhd / quattro

(1) 8N2422061HX

steering box

rhd / quattro

This thread may help you as the 2.5 rack has several part numbers http://briskoda.net/ask-tech/mk4-r32-steering-rack-alternatives/146129/

Cheers i have read the thread but it's all the part numbers that's confusing.

Jay,

there are several tt rack part numbers,

mine (which i understand to be a quickrack from a broken 225bhp tt from what i can read says 8n2 422 061 but i cant read the letter after it)

some other tt racks are below.

Not sure if only the 225 bhp model was quickrack or if they all are though.

(1) 8N2422061G

steering box

rhd / fr.wheel drv

(1) 8N2422061GX

steering box

rhd / fr.wheel drv

(1) 8N2422061H

steering box

rhd / quattro

(1) 8N2422061HX

steering box

rhd / quattro

I did look on vagcat and it's correct part number.

£300 for a brand new rack is what i'm thinking about.

looking through some old posts it looks like lex (and some other members) might have a different part number again? 1J2 422 105 (thats a golf r32 part i think)

seems there are numerous variations, effin VAG always have to make things complicated!!!

£300 is a lot for a new rack and they are often exchange only too!!! Second hand quickracks go for around £75 to £150.

looking through some old posts it looks like lex (and some other members) might have a different part number again? 1J2 422 105 (thats a golf r32 part i think)

seems there are numerous variations, effin VAG always have to make things complicated!!!

£300 is a lot for a new rack and they are often exchange only too!!! Second hand quickracks go for around £75 to £150.

Brand new no exchange for £300.

It's the last letters thats confusing as i don't know if the part number is a quick rack.

i know what you mean, we need to find out if all the tt racks are quickrack or just the 225bhp model ones, not that vag.cat tells you which is which.

Have been searching other posts on tt racks on the net to see if i can work it out, most annoying is the casting of the letter on my part number is illegible!!

You don't want to come un-stuck with part numbers like I did Jay. Your right to be careful mate.

By the way, do you want some spare 23mm ARB bushes? I can pop them in the post to you :)

You don't want to come un-stuck with part numbers like I did Jay. Your right to be careful mate.

By the way, do you want some spare 23mm ARB bushes? I can pop them in the post to you :)

I would have but i bought a another set of super pro ones for when i replace the powerflex ones.

Mine is a 1J2 422 105 same as Lex's, it came off a 225bhp 2002 TT apparently.

The part numbers confused me a lot as there were several different numbers on different parts of the rack plus a part number on the heatshield :thumbdwn: I think the correct number is the one on the part of the rack where the power steering pump etc. plugs into.

all parts numbers cross over, yes they do give an indication as to what they fit ie 8e is audi a4 8p is the new a3 3b is a passat but since the parts are so interchangeable its very common to find these on other models hope this helps:thumbup:

but surely a part fitted to a tt would have 8n2 rather than 1j2 as the beginning part denotes what car its meant for?

Of course the part is the same bu the stamp tells you what 'brand' the part is for.

thing is am sure parts starting with 1j2 are golf parts, can anyone confirm?

Jamie, yours could be r32?

Got it earlier this year off of ebay, the bloke was breaking 2 Audi TTs, one FWD 180bhp one and one Quattro 225bhp one so I asked him to send me the rack from the 225 one

if only it was that simple my job would be so much easier, with the parts crossing over so much it would be a long winded way to do it giving all tt bits part numbers starting 8n when the part is identical to that off a golf so they gave the part just one number irrelevant of whether it was fitted to different models

it must be a parts nightmare, i have owned enough vws to know getting parts can be a right pain.

However, on etka the tt rack does have a different number to the golf r32, albeit very similar but still different as indicated by the first 3 letters of the part number.

So can you tell from your system which rack is quickrack and which is not!

unfortunately not etka is pretty basic with regards to part info, all i'd do is go on somewhere ie piston heads or similar and get the reg off a tt and do a cross reference on vee dub, we get all sorts ring up asking for things with no vehicle details and just saying they're all the same if only it was that simple