Which engine is best for me

gabell

Hi all.

I am really keen on the yeti elegance and stuck on which engine to get. It's between the 1.8 tsi and tdi 140. My recent cars have been diesels but none have managed to obtain the recommended mpg no matter how I drive. I like the turbo diesel punch for overtaking but I have heard great reviews of the 1.8 tsi . I have never had a turbo petrol so have no comparison.

In the octavia range the decision is clearer as the diesel is £1500 more. But in the yeti it's only £500.

I do around 11000 miles a year, mostly to and from work at a distance of 16 miles which I assume is why my previous diesels stuggled to get the allocated mpg - been told diesels like longer journeys at constant speed for best results.

Like I said. I do like to have the power for overtaking etc but in general I am lightfooted . It's always nice to know it's there when required.

I would also be tempted to get a superchip bluefin module at some point for driveability and fuel saving in the diesel. But don,t know what one would do for a petrol as they only mention a bhp increase and no mention of extra mpg if driven carefully.

I am open to suggestions.

My local dealer only has the diesel 140 to test drive so can't compare with the petrol.

When information started to become available I was hoping for a 1.4TSI sadly not.

Next choice would have been 1.8TSI but the following changed my mind to TDI 140:

VED band J (unlike the Octi Scout versions I band) next year £235 against the 140 at £155

35 mpg against 47mpg

price difference petrol to diesel £500

So financially anyway the 1.8 makes no sense at all.

This can be such a subjective area and a lot depends on personal preferences, the use the car is most likely to be put to and so on. And of course don't forget that the differentials in price between different fuels are not constant so MPGs should not be the only consideration. Finally, I understand that the insurance group for a 1.8TSI (and the 170CRD) is higher than the 140CRD, so along with VED car tax the fixed annual costs will be higher.

Having said that, and this will have to wait until proper test drives, from what I've read the TSI sounds a much nicer drive and is at the top of my list!

Similar thoughts for me - unsure between the 170CR and the 1.8TSI.

Whichever I go for will be mapped and I know both see very good gains. Additional revability of the TSI compared to economy of the 170TDI - difficult decision for me tbh!

Lee

Similar thoughts for me - unsure between the 170CR and the 1.8TSI.

Whichever I go for will be mapped and I know both see very good gains. Additional revability of the TSI compared to economy of the 170TDI - difficult decision for me tbh!

Lee

As a confirmed 'slightly modded TFSI' vRS...aholic' I would guess that the 1.8TSI would be more your cup of tea.

For the OP (gabell) take fuel consumption with a pinch of salt, but as a TDI user at present I fell you will really miss the slug of torque you get (compared to a petrol car). I certainly miss it when driving my wife's 1.6 Roomster compared to my 2.0L TDI Octy.

Overall; go find a test drive of both Yeti and then compare.

Well i've took the plunge. Ground out a good deal for my part-ex and a demo yeti tdi[140] elegance. Can't wait to get my hands on it now. Should be ready for the end of the month yippppppeeeeeeee.

Excellent.

Another member to add to aerofurb's Snow-monster (nearly) owners club.

Would be interested what colour and any options fitted.

:)

Anyone willing to produce a Yeti decal for the Snow Monster Owners club?

(although a white one will not show up on Aerofurb's car!)

Anyone willing to produce a Yeti decal for the Snow Monster Owners club?

(although a white one will not show up on Aerofurb's car!)

What you'll need is a row of Quashqi, kuga, tiguan logos with a diagonal red line through each of them; positioned in line by the door mirror! :rofl: :eek:

What you'll need is a row of Quashqi, kuga, tiguan logos with a diagonal red line through each of them; positioned in line by the door mirror! :rofl: :eek:[/quote

A bit like the Ghostbusters logo?

What you'll need is a row of Quashqi' date=' kuga, tiguan logos with a diagonal red line through each of them; positioned in line by the door mirror! :rofl: :eek:[/quote

A bit like the Ghostbusters logo?[/quote'] Precisely. :)