Auto for Wrinkly Yeti fans

superskib

:thumbup: I have waited 4 years to see it in the metal and it is a KO.

But I think Skoda are missing a trick with it. Many Skoda owners are wrinklies - like me at 72 and smiling. What I want is a Yeti (because it is so easy to get in and out of) I want a TDI Yeti because it is frugal on fuel (?) just a simple 105-125 bhp (I am not into speed. I want a DSG Yeti because that is the future; I have a Golf DSG 105 bhp Match, that has all the toys like iPod slot, cruise, computer etc.

I don't know if the 1.2 litre petrol with 7 speed DSG will be any good, but I bet it won't get 55 mpg on overall average over two years (like my Golf). My '02 Fabia TDi averaged 58.9mpg over 5 years. How about a DSG Fabia?

Come on Skoda, we silver surfers are the ones with some wedge to spare, why not cater for our needs.:cool::D

According to an earlier thread here, the 1.2TSI DSG is due to be launched in week 5 of 2010, with the 2.0TDI DSG being launched in week 22 of 2010. However the diesel will be the 140 BHP model with four wheel drive so doesn't really meet your needs.

But even if the 2.0TDI (110 BHP) front wheel drive Yeti was offered with DSG would it actually be more economical than the 1.2TSI DSG?

I have been comparing the manual gearbox versions of the 1.2TSI and 2.0TDI and assuming you drive about 10000 miles a year, estimate their annual running costs of VED plus fuel to be around £1145 and £964 respectively. So the diesel could save me £180 a year. But the initial cost is £1270 more, so it would take 7 years before the lower running costs repaid the extra capital cost. As the performance figures seem very similar, I would now argue you need to do a pretty high mileage before the diesel becomes cheaper.

And even at a young 61, I find my annual mileage has dropped over the last few years and so am prepared to change back to petrol after driving diesel cars for the last 14 years or so.

Chris

Thanx CJJE for your interest, and your arithmetic! I don't doubt your figures for a minute but I would not go back to a petrol engine after several diesels 1 Skoda PD, 1 Toyota D4D and current VW PD. It is a different style of driving that is more laid back and easy going. I rarely exceed 2k rpm, the DSG box changes at about 2k unless you need to hustle when it will go all the way when booted. That makes it a very safe car (for me that is). A 1.2 putting out 105 bhp must be much more stressed and 'buzzy' and will need winding up to get reasonable performance even with a fast changing box. In honesty I would be quite happy with a Fabia IF it had a TDi/DSG combination. I may well finish up staying with VW and buying a new Polo.

Thanx again Gibbo

According to an earlier thread here, the 1.2TSI DSG is due to be launched in week 5 of 2010, with the 2.0TDI DSG being launched in week 22 of 2010. However the diesel will be the 140 BHP model with four wheel drive so doesn't really meet your needs.

But even if the 2.0TDI (110 BHP) front wheel drive Yeti was offered with DSG would it actually be more economical than the 1.2TSI DSG?

I have been comparing the manual gearbox versions of the 1.2TSI and 2.0TDI and assuming you drive about 10000 miles a year, estimate their annual running costs of VED plus fuel to be around £1145 and £964 respectively. So the diesel could save me £180 a year. But the initial cost is £1270 more, so it would take 7 years before the lower running costs repaid the extra capital cost. As the performance figures seem very similar, I would now argue you need to do a pretty high mileage before the diesel becomes cheaper.

And even at a young 61, I find my annual mileage has dropped over the last few years and so am prepared to change back to petrol after driving diesel cars for the last 14 years or so.

Chris

Running costs are but part, a smaller part, of the overall cost of ownership. Without attempting to be specific, because much depends on how the vehicle is used and retained, it often works out fairly even cost wise, whether diesel or petrol. The only comprehensive (claimed) data I see is in What Car, which takes depreciation and running costs into account, and gives cost per mile. For many vehicles, there is very little in it over 3 years. I'd go for whichever type of motor is preferred, unless there is a significant margin, or possible issue with DPF foul-up due to urban, or over-gentle use.

You may not find the 1.2TSi engine that buzzy, it develops peak torque from 1,500 rpm!

I agree with mj01, the 1.2TSI is a turbocharged petrol engine so could have a very similar feel to a turbo diesel. I understand your liking for the feel of a diesel engine, I have enjoyed a Citroen Xantia diesel, Golf IV diesel and now my Octavia diesel for many years too, and love the low revs power surge you get, but am still interested in test driving the Yeti 1.2TSI when it is released to see how it compares.

I also agree that there are other costs to be considered such as depreciation and insurance, but I tend to keep my cars for 4 to 5 years, and so depreciation becomes less important.

Chris

You may not find the 1.2TSi engine that buzzy, it develops peak torque from 1,500 rpm!

If it is anything like the 1.4TSi, then it will certainly not be at all buzzy. The 1.4 TSi is a very refined and responsive engine with bags of torque right where its needed, low down and mid range. I would expect the 1.2 TSi to have similar traits. In fact if it were not for VAG's problems of keeping up with the 1.4 TSi's demands, it would have found its way into the Yeti.

If it is anything like the 1.4TSi, then it will certainly not be at all buzzy. The 1.4 TSi is a very refined and responsive engine with bags of torque right where its needed, low down and mid range. I would expect the 1.2 TSi to have similar traits. In fact if it were not for VAG's problems of keeping up with the 1.4 TSi's demands, it would have found its way into the Yeti.

I hope the 1.4 TSi does find it's way into the Yeti in the future as to me there seems to be a big gap in the petrol engine range between the 1.2 and 1.8 TSi's.

I hope the 1.4 TSi does find it's way into the Yeti in the future as to me there seems to be a big gap in the petrol engine range between the 1.2 and 1.8 TSi's.

Personally, I would not dismiss the 1.2 TSi purely because of its small capacity and maximum BHP output. As with the other TSi's, it has impressive torque figures for a petrol and in my opinion , once available, would be well worth a test drive. Originally I pooh poohed the 1.4 TSi on its capacity grounds and boy, was I wrong and pleasantly surprised.

But I think Skoda are missing a trick with it. Many Skoda owners are wrinklies - like me at 72 and smiling. What I want is a Yeti (because it is so easy to get in and out of) I want a TDI Yeti because it is frugal on fuel (?) just a simple 105-125 bhp (I am not into speed. I want a DSG Yeti because that is the future; I have a Golf DSG 105 bhp Match, that has all the toys like iPod slot, cruise, computer etc.

I don't know if the 1.2 litre petrol with 7 speed DSG will be any good, but I bet it won't get 55 mpg on overall average over two years (like my Golf). My '02 Fabia TDi averaged 58.9mpg over 5 years. How about a DSG Fabia?

Come on Skoda, we silver surfers are the ones with some wedge to spare, why not cater for our needs.:cool::D

Also a silver surfer I followed the Yeti for 3 months on every website I could find and for exactly the same reasons - step up cab - reasobale flat load bay (golf buggy and clubs) good economy low insurance Re 1.2 TSI SE DSG model. Before 17th Sept no brochures even off the registered site ! contacted 6 Skoda dealers in Seussex and Kent test drove 2.0 140 bhp manual E 4x 4 30 mins - motorway b & c roads superb - went to place the order for Aqua Blue 1.2 2 wheel DSG - and back came the response build week 41-46 of 2009 !! here by Christmas New Year - when asked to check on DSG version again build week 5 2010 delivery UK April 2010. This delay must have something to do in Aug 2008 with the 50,000 VW recall on VW cars with DSG Fault?

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296791

I am still ordering one as the 3 year warranty will take car of any problems but with 13 Million OA{P with a wedge this is the mOdel we want!! OK Skoda !! No response from VW Milton Keynes or

Kvasiny

pobočný závod:

ŠKODA AUTO a.s.

Kvasiny č.p. 145

517 02 Kvasiny

Česká republika

ústředna: +420 494 553 111

Spring 2010 it is then !!

Hi, From another wrinkly have posted my response in agreement with all you say plus why the DSG is delayed !

Regards

Healeyman David

:o Hi chaps,

thanx for the support, if enough of us make a noise it may become loud enough to reach Skoda HQ

I just read the post from America about the DSG; that was a new one on me - must remember that 10 year warranty remark!!!!!!!!:D

Be lucky Gibbo