Airbag warning light back on

I picked up my Octavia 1.9TD Elegance just over a week ago now. It's a lovely drive and I'm hugely impressed with it, but I have me a small issue with the airbag warning light. When I purchased it, the light was on during the test drive so I had the fault cleared by the dealer. The car went fine for about 700 miles or so. Now the light has come back on again. From memory I think the fault code on their computer was along the lines of:

Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter: Driver Side

Resistance too High - Intermittent

Their reasoning was that a flat battery could have caused that, but I'm not sure I buy this now with the information I've read since.

Does this sound like the notorious under-seat connector issue which seems to pop up all over the Internet? Although I have a 3 month warranty, the garage I bought it from is about 300 miles away (yes, I know...). There's no point in just getting it reset again, since the fault will more than likely reappear.

Thanks - Rich

Guess you have been through all the wiring and checked nothing is getting snagged?

With ignition off try unplugging and plugging back in the connectiors...perhasp one isn't making good contact.

I had the same issue, went fine after I'd had the seats out for 500 miles+ but it came on....purchased VAG COM to clear it so now it's the waiting game.

Thanks - yes the under seat connector is my suspicion, had read about this in other posts. I guess this is the wiring to the igniter on the belt tensioner, so that would tie in with the fault code. Anyway, the garage I bought it from are willing to pay for me to get it done locally - Phew!

Re the suggestion of re-plugging, while I could do this I believe that wouldn't clear the fault since I think airbag faults are retained in memory and not reset unless done via software.

I don't own vag-com yet - give it a year or two!

Thanks for advice anyway :)

Thanks - yes the under seat connector is my suspicion, had read about this in other posts. I guess this is the wiring to the igniter on the belt tensioner, so that would tie in with the fault code. Anyway, the garage I bought it from are willing to pay for me to get it done locally - Phew!

Re the suggestion of re-plugging, while I could do this I believe that wouldn't clear the fault since I think airbag faults are retained in memory and not reset unless done via software.

I don't own vag-com yet - give it a year or two!

Thanks for advice anyway :)

That is correct, the light will stay on regardless, I was meaning that it could stop it happening again if one of the connectors was making a bad contact for example, or had dirt on one pin for instance.

Best of luck!

I had this problem with my previous octavia, it went back to the dealer so many times i lost count. The problem was only resolved when the drivers side airbag in the seat was replaced.

Me too, the problem was the connector under driver seat became disturbed when a mechanic moved my seat (he was a short chap) too far forward. Took it back to garage and they just push the connect back into place and re-set the VAG-COM setting. Been perfect every since.

I hadn't realised it was the wiring for the seatbelt tensioner. Thanks.