Is it a warranty item?

Driving into Chester tonight the nearside front dip beam flickered and then went out with a "warning light failure" message coming on. The car is 2 years old and is fitted with xenon lights........is this an item that would be replaced under warranty.

You should certainly get a lot more use out of a xenon unit than that! They're usually marketed as 'lifetime of the vehicle' type usage...

I'd be onto the dealer to investigate that one further.

Steve

I would certainly expect a lifespan in excess of 3yrs and 25k for them, especially as mine in the Fabia were fine after nearly double that time and 3.5x the mileage...

This would be premature failure in my mind, for which there should surely be a cause...

Steve

You can read or download a copy of the SkodaAuto New Vehicle Warranty here.

The relevant section is below:

Items where the lifetime of the component is or can be influenced by driving style and external factors will only be considered under the terms of the warranty for a period of six months or 6,500 miles (whichever is soonest).

Beyond that limit, the defects must be classified as wear and tear and will not be covered by the Škoda warranty. Components subject to wear and tear are as follows:

• Brake linings and disc pads

• Clutch release bearings

• Clutch pressure plates and centre plates

• Tyres

• Wiper blades (wiper rubbers have no warranty owing to their conditions of use)

• Seat and backrest covers

• Floor coverings

• Spark plugs

• Batteries for key fobs and alarms

Light bulbs

• Shock absorbers

I had this on my Superb (Xenons) when it was still under warranty. I was expecting to pay for this, but it was covered under the warranty. They said that the Xenon bulb should last the lifetime of the car so was deemed to be covered by the warranty when it failed.

This was done at Brooklyn in Rugby, who sadly are no more....