Gearbox is getting a bit tight... is it knackered?

Hi folks. I have an X plate Octavia with the 110 TDi lump in it. I bought it on 75k with full-on history. It's now done 121k and still starts on the button. I use it to do a lot of miles for work (35-40k a year) and over about the last 3k or so, basically last week, the gearbox has started to feel a bit tight when selecting gears.

Mrs Eltax drove it for the first time in ages yesterday and complained of leg and arm ache after driving it! I've obviously not noticed it feeling tighter over time. There is no abnormal crunching or weird noises, like i say, it just feels a bit stiffer. It's not like Mrs E drives a totally different car, she as an A3 with a 100 TDi in it so it should feel similar.

So, what do we reckon folks? I have some gear oil in the shed that i bought for my last car and then sold. Autodata shows it's the correct grade. Would changing the gear oil help, or is my clutch or gearbox on the way out?

I do a lot of my own spannering, but it's not obvious to me where the drain/ re-fill plugs are on the 'box. Haynes doesn't seem obvious as it covers several gearbox models...

Changing the oil improved ours greatly so definately worth a try, interestingly I think it was at 125000 miles.

One tip the filler is a pig to get out so make sure you can get that undone before you tackle the drain plug, it took a friend whos a skilled mechanic about 10 mins to tease the filler to open & the old oil was already out, It could have been fun !

Changing the oil improved ours greatly so definately worth a try, interestingly I think it was at 125000 miles.

One tip the filler is a pig to get out so make sure you can get that undone before you tackle the drain plug, it took a friend whos a skilled mechanic about 10 mins to tease the filler to open & the old oil was already out, It could have been fun !

OK, cool. I think i can get the oil changed. I like to be 100% prepared though, is there a guide anywhere on how to change it? I can't find one.

OK, cool. I think i can get the oil changed. I like to be 100% prepared though, is there a guide anywhere on how to change it? I can't find one.

I dont know of a guide but Im sure someone will come along with the answer, if not post asking the question

Make sure you undo the filler before you drain the oil, I'd go with either millers TRX fully synth (I had success with this) or VAG gear oil as some people have had issues with other oils.

I'd actually pay if you can find a place that will run through the old oil filtered and warmed to take the gunk out before filling you up with clean oil.

IIRC it's 2L of oil in that gearbox.

Our gears are getting a pain also, very graty feel so hopefully the oil change will help - keep meaning to get mine into a garage to get done as i have known people drain the oil then find that they cant get the filler plug out as what cheezemonkhai posted.