Fuel gauge????? wierd?

Evenin all,

I have been a bit confused in the last few weeks. I have filled up with fuel and the gauge is fine and goes down fine. what Ive noticed tho is some times it tells me there is more fuel in than there should be

ie: I have filled up and I can get around 40-50 mile b4 it starts to go down dependin what type of drivin. it went down as normal but then went up a tad again on way home from work??? I wasnt gunnin it. I was thinkin its the exhaust heatin the tank a tad and expandin the fuel? then when the car is cold it registers whats in there.

I have covered 166 mile so far on this tank and today at start up it said I had just over 5/8 of a tank then went up to 3/4 of a tank after a few mile of driving round town??????

Also it happened a month or so ago when I went to Cornwall, was fine on way down on the friday night then filled up there and got home having used accordin to the gauge just over 1/8 tank and its 208 mile???? then in the mornin it measured just under 5/8 like it should.

what do you guys think it is? I always brim the tank before going anywere unless I a just running around Cardiff then I put £10 in a week to limit my use lol. I know I can get 350 mile out of a tank minimum no matter what type of driving I do.

its just confusing me a tad and I am worried that it is the zorst heatin the fuel??

Mine's pretty much the same, so I only fill it to the cutout. I don't think it can be the exhaust heating the tank because I can get the rise by filling last thing at night, and leaving the car overnight.

So im nit going mad. Ive noticed that out on a long trip the gauge hardly moves but the next day has fallen the expected amount, gauge seems slow at adjusting down.

I just thought the fuel fairys where calling at night.

The following information which I gleaned from this forum helped me when I had a similar problem. My low fuel light would also come on and off intermittently and the only way to guage whether I had fuel or not was to keep a track of the kms run on the trip meter.

Lift the rear seat bottom cushion up (the one behind the drivers seat) and you will see an oval shaped hatch with 3 screws in it which provides access to the fuel gauge sensor. Undo the 3 screws and open the hatch. There will be a considerable amount of accumulated dirt on the fuel gauge sensor. Clean gently around it. Gently tap the two prongs going into the tank ( I used the plastic handle of the screwdriver). Squirt WD 40 on the sensor and close the hatch.

If this does not solve the problem, a new fuel gauage sensor could be required.

I thought the gauge on mine was moving up (not as much as you guys) due to the trip computer calculating how far I had left to go and how economical I was being! I might clean mine when it gets worse.

mmm mine is still doin it, I am on the M5 stuck after an incident (counted 7 fire vehicles, 8+ bobies, 3 ambulance, and 2 + hiways agency)

Ive done 104.6 mile and the comp says 36.4 mpg adv and 420 mile range and the needle says full still?

mmmmmm

The chappy who converted my Octavia to LPG said "the newer ones" (>2001ish) calculate how much fuel is left based on how much it thinks you've used. (This affects LPG cars because they claim to be out of petrol when they're still full!) Maybe they re-measure the "real" level when you turn the key.

I don't think it's consistent with what you're describing (and the grubby sensor sounds more likely) but I thought it may be relevant information nonetheless.