Link to TDI Sticky Vane syndrome

Hello,

I have an 02 TDI and its behaving a bit peculiar at low revs as well as making a right kerfuffle on startup. I think the latter might be glow plugs but the former sounds like it could be this sticking turbo vanes problem. I hear it is common, would someone be so kind as to post the link to the subject. Just wondering if there are any simple checks I could do?

Also, I don't know if this is related but sometimes when accelerating on the motorway, the car seems to chuck out a right load of soot. I know all diesels seem to do this anyway, but it appears more than normal, could this be due to using halfords oil instead of the VAG recommended stuff?

Thanks in advance.

The sticky vanes syndrome causes the car to go into limp mode and throw the engine warning light when you try and use high boost.

The Halfrauds oil won't help, but black smoke usually indicates over-fuelling, which is typically caused by low boost, a blocked air filter or a MAF fault.

The sticky vanes syndrome causes the car to go into limp mode and throw the engine warning light when you try and use high boost.

The Halfrauds oil won't help, but black smoke usually indicates over-fuelling, which is typically caused by low boost, a blocked air filter or a MAF fault.

I would have thought that using oil to the correct VAG standard would be fine, after all it is to VAG standards. So why would using Halfords Oil be any different to any other manufacturer? as long as it meets the specification required?

Is it that some people actually don't like Halfords & therefore their oil OR is their evidance to suggest it genuinely is not very good oil?

A little enlightenment on this subject would be of use to many people.

Edited by Rustle

I use Halfords oil in my octy2 with no problems whatsover, it smokes no more now than it did when I used Shell oil. Halfords has been tested and found to comply with the same rigourous standards that all oils go through to get the 507.01 approval. Halford dont actually make the oil, its just a rebranded oil from one of the big players.

As already mentioned, all your problems could be down to a duff MAF or fuel temp sender.