clutch bleeding procedure ,any one know how

stig1

can any one tell me how to bleed my new clutch , had a go but can t get any fluid out of the bleed nipple , any help would be great thats all i need to do now and its finished :thumbup:

Can you elaborate please. Do I bleed the clutch first and then the brakes or the other way round? I have read on this forum that they share the same oil reservoir. If I have to bleed the clutch where do I start? Thank you.

In my haynes manual it just says to also bleed the clutch when doing the brakes, so I did it after I had done the brakes. I found that I had to undo the bleed nipple quite a lot before the fluid started coming out, a lot more than the nipples on the brakes.

It's also in a really unhelpful position - the haynes manual says it's best accessed from below but neglected to mention that is assuming you have extra long fingers and and extra elbow joint.

Get a Gunson easi-bleed kit, they are really useful.

You fill the pot that comes with the kit with new hydraulic fluid then screw one tube from the pot onto the top of your fluid reservoir and plug the other tube from the pot onto the valve on your spare tyre (after taking some pressure out so it's about 14psi) it then uses the air pressure from your spare tyre to force new fluid into the reservoir as you open the bleed nipple on the clutch and the old fluid flows out. You just stop bleeding when the fluid starts to run clear as thats when all the old fluid has been replaced by new.

We bled the clutch on a vRS the other week after doing all the brake calipers and the master cylinder but I think you're ok to bleed just the clutch if you need to. The bleed nipple for the clutch wasn't that hard to get to from the top, IIRC it was sort of below the air filter box and you just needed some nimble little fingers to get a spanner in there to crack it.

• 8 years later...

I found I had  an air lock in the master cylinder and the only way to move it  was to raise the front of the car (ramps in this case) take off the cap of reservour  and pump the clutch ,I left mine raised overnight and it done the trick,You will never  get this air out via the slave cylinder you may need to top up fluid when done.

• Like 1