Fabia VRS 16'' Alloys on standard Fabia?

TheOne

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at getting these fitted in the next couple of weeks with Uniroyal Rain master 2's all round. But, before I do this I have a couple of questions-

1 - I want to put new Wheel nuts on the Alloys to keep it looking nice, what size would I need? Or is it just a universal fitting?

2 - The Alloys on the VRS Cars themselves look like they have Plastic caps/covers, are these easy enough to obtain?

3 - And I want to add locking Wheel nuts also, any idea to the most secure/best rated?

4 - I also need the Caps for the centres of the Alloys, what size are they, as I have found different dimensions?

5 - Would a 16 VRS Alloy fit straight into my spare tyre bay? ( I hope so!)

Thank you for looking!

Edited by TheOne

Dealer for most of those parts - if you have a good sales dept they can obtain the centre caps, nut covers, new bolts etc

Locking wheel nuts should already be on the existing alloys - straight swap...

Not much point buying new bolts - the old ones will fit and the visible part will be hidden by the bolt covers anyway. All the parts you want can be bought from the parts department of your local dealer. And finally, yes - a full size 16" spare wheel with 205/45/16 tyre will fit in the spare wheel well no problem

5 - Would a 16 VRS Alloy fit straight into my spare tyre bay? ( I hope so!)

....And finally, yes - a full size 16" spare wheel with 205/45/16 tyre will fit in the spare wheel well no problem

Whilst the vRS alloy with tyre will fit in the spare wheel well, you'll have to put it in upside down (i.e. face up opposite to a steel spare) IIRC or risk scratching the face on the retaining bolt thread hole in the well floor. Either that or the plastic jack holder gubbins doesn't fit inside the alloy. One of the two.:confused:

HTH

Whilst the vRS alloy with tyre will fit in the spare wheel well, you'll have to put it in upside down (i.e. face up opposite to a steel spare) IIRC or risk scratching the face on the retaining bolt thread hole in the well floor. Either that or the plastic jack holder gubbins doesn't fit inside the alloy. One of the two.:confused:

HTH

Good point. An old chamois leather or other cloth would protect the face though. The vRS has a 16" steel spare and the plastic jack holder gubbins fits in that. I fiitted a set of 16" polo Sport alloys to my last Fabia and bought a matching spare and thhat fiitted in the spare wheel well with no problems.

Given that the vRS comes with 4 alloys and a ful size steel spare I think that would probably be the best option, especially since you can get a new 16" steel wheel for less than as econdhand alloy one.

You will need new wheel bolts specifically for the alloys, the bolts for your old steelies are not the same.

Bolt caps and centre caps can be found on Ebay as well.

You will need new wheel bolts specifically for the alloys, the bolts for your old steelies are not the same.

Bolt caps and centre caps can be found on Ebay as well.

The bolts should be same.... most VAG wheels have the same "seat" for the bolt.

The bolts should be same.... most VAG wheels have the same "seat" for the bolt.

Just thought about this, when using the steel spare, maybe i'm wrong then but all other cars I've had they were not compatable.

I'm quite interested in this thread, I am after some 17's for mine when I find a set at the right price. I would want to fit the VRS alloys onto Mrs Grrs SDI ideally. I'm glad I can bolt them straight on without any mods. How will this affect the speedo reading?

She has 185/60/14 on her sdi (I think... I'm at work and can't look);)

As many of you know, the VRS has 205/45/16 and I'm worried it may knock her speedo reading out a bit...

Also will it change the acceleration or top speed of her car?:confused:

Years ago I changed the wheels/tyres on a mark 5 cortina and it reduced the top speed but seemed to hasten acceleration... We are talking nearly 20 years ago now so I can't remember if I put bigger or smaller wheels and tyres on that car.

Edited by grr666

Thanks Mike. I knew you'd be lurking around somewhere on here

and you can always be relied on for quality advice on all things Skoda.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Just realised..... 100 posts Wahey!!!

sideon.jpg

Proof that vRS wheels will fit non-vRS (taken from the Fabia alloys thread, page 1). Not sure why they wouldn't go on your friends 1.4 Sport :confused:

There is little difference in the rolling circumference between 185/60/14 and 205/45/16 - check this website Tire size calculator In practice we noticed the car was a bit heavier on fuel but felt far more secure on the road when we changed from standard steels to 16" alloys (the 14"s were on Michelin Energy tyres)

And the standard bolts will be just fine with OEM alloys - it's typically aftermarket wheels that need different bolts

Edited by JulieD
acknowledge source of photo