Hi. Newbie here and my octy got a bit of an Engine/Transmission problem

Hi there.

Im from Malaysia. My Octavia FSI 2.0 tiptronic mileage is approx 45,000km @ 3.8 years, out of warranty

Yesterday car was giving out a distant whining sound during idling, but i thought it was just me. Today, at approx 750pm after 8km of journey, the car engine vibrate violently but the car could still move albeit with a bit less power.

RPM didnt seem to drop either. I turn off the engine and re-started a few times, the vibration was still there. So safely i park my car by the road side wondering what the hell is wrong with my car and got a friend of mine to send me home.

What could be wrong? anyone experience this before?

Troubled mind

A Arifin

Malaysia

Not entirely, but if power is down and the idle rough that suggests you have a fuelling or ignition problem- maybe a failed sensor, maybe an air leak, maybe a failed coil back. VAG-COm would at least give you a clue if one of those is true.

Nice part of the world you live in, by the way.

Cheers mate.

Its hot here :D. We do not have that many service centre for skoda tho.

All the while, it has been only regular servicing, zero problem. VAG-Com sounds like a must have DIY software. (pardon my ignorance) .

Could the wobble be caused by slipped transmission disc? (fingers crossed):confused:

Just to add, RPM didnt go crazy up or down. It was constant as usual but the car feels jerky and engine vibrated quite bad.

Vibration but no power loss would point to possible Dual Mass Flywheel failure- especially if by tiptronic you mean the DSG gearbox (which is likely), but I'd expect a rattle too.

You mention a whining sound- could you have a leak from a hose dropped off? Do you have any warning lights on?

VAG-COM is a very handy thing to have, but it can be expensive- for an Octavia as new as yours you need a CAN cable- so an official Ross-Tech one. In the UK lots of people have this, but theye's probably very few in Malaysia.

Morning.

I do not think mine is a DSG but just the normal automatic transmission. Although i have re-started the car a few times, the Maxi-dot is as usual with no warning lights whatsoever. I could not immediately see any loose hoses as it was already dark when it happened.

In the event the car needs towing, what do i need to do?

I'll consider to have the VAG-COM and the cables for myself in near future but i need to resolve this engine vibration thingy first.

The problem is that except for normal service center for engine oil replacement, there are no workshop here that specialize in Skoda cars especially when it comes to transmission. I could be wrong tho but i thought Skoda, VW or Audi all use the same engine and gearbox?

Morning.

I do not think mine is a DSG but just the normal automatic transmission. Although i have re-started the car a few times, the Maxi-dot is as usual with no warning lights whatsoever. I could not immediately see any loose hoses as it was already dark when it happened.

In the event the car needs towing, what do i need to do?

I'll consider to have the VAG-COM and the cables for myself in near future but i need to resolve this engine vibration thingy first.

The problem is that except for normal service center for engine oil replacement, there are no workshop here that specialize in Skoda cars especially when it comes to transmission. I could be wrong tho but i thought Skoda, VW or Audi all use the same engine and gearbox?

Yes they all use the same engine and gearbox,, in one shap or form, if you need to tow it you will have to lift the front wheels off the road and release the hand break.

do not attempt to tow it with it on the ground or you will damage the gearbox

Hopefully it will be a hose that has come off or even an engine mount that has broken

Please post what was wrong when you find out

Sure. Typically a workshop that does Audi or VW should be able to look into Skoda right?

Its public holiday here today and tomorrow is Sunday so everything will have to wait till Monday. I have recorded the engine sound only for 36s cos it was raining but the engine sounds erratic. The RPM however, is almost calm as usual. I have a strong feeling its the gearbox but really? Now where can i post this sound for ye all to listen to it and give some comment.

Oh btw, thanks for the towing tips

I have uploaded the file to mediafire. Click to download the WMA file.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Edited by Aarifin
http://briskoda.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1858012

After returning from family function over close to 800km journey, I have just started my car and rev it 3000 rpm to see the vibration of the engine. Funny, the significant vibration was felt at idling RPM only. At higher RPM, the vibration is gone. Because the vibration could be felt at low RPM, I'm not quite sure if i can drive the car to the nearest workshop. What do you suggest?

I still think you have an engine problem, not transmission- a failed coil pack perhaps.

If you can't get VAG-COM, does anyone have a CAN-capable code reader you could use?

cjb,

Thanks a million for the feedback. Judging from the engine behavior which was jumpy at consistent interval as if the engine was running at half the pistons, it could be the ignition coil. I take it that ignition coil issue is common in Skoda and Golf.

The probability of Ignition coil packing up surely sounds a whole lot better than transmission problem which means i cud still drive the car right?. Nobody that i know have a CAN code reader or equivalent equipment. But i'll drive it to nearest service center and we'll see from there . Just be patient with me as i will be a bit tight with work commitment.will update you guys with the news as soon as i can.

Thanks again everyone, espcially CJB and skippy41

Edited by Aarifin

An update from me.

Million thanks to those reading this thread and gazillion thanks to those helping me with tips.

I have decided to drive the car approx 20km away to Skoda service centre this morning. Along the way, i noticed how the car behave and i'd like to make correction to my earlier observation.

The engine vibration was strongly felt at low RPM and lesser at higher RPM but still present at higher frequency. Gear transmission from the 1st to 6th have been smooth except that the experience was dampened by wobbly engine strongly felt through-out the entire car ( as if the car didnt like me and wanted to throw me out of the car- lol)

The technician conducted a scan with computer (a writing of 5053 printed on the gadget which looked like a 10 inch touch screen computer ) to find some electrical errors a bit here and there and the main culprit was found to be - a malfunctioned ignition coil. The affected coil (1 unit) replaced and my car has been ready for collection 15 mins ago. It's a great relief, only to leave me wondering : Should i replace all other ignition coils as well or i should replace it whenever it fails?

M0bov,

Cheers for the input. Will put that into consideration.

I remember reading somewhere that Skoda UK has issued recalls on MK 1 Octavia with regards to ignition coil. Was there any for Mk 2 Octavia? if ignition coil has been a common failure, shouldnt there be a revised/upgraded version that should last a lifetime? It's really nasty if they dont -lol-

An update from me.

Million thanks to those reading this thread and gazillion thanks to those helping me with tips.

I have decided to drive the car approx 20km away to Skoda service centre this morning. Along the way, i noticed how the car behave and i'd like to make correction to my earlier observation.

The engine vibration was strongly felt at low RPM and lesser at higher RPM but still present at higher frequency. Gear transmission from the 1st to 6th have been smooth except that the experience was dampened by wobbly engine strongly felt through-out the entire car ( as if the car didnt like me and wanted to throw me out of the car- lol)

The technician conducted a scan with computer (a writing of 5053 printed on the gadget which looked like a 10 inch touch screen computer ) to find some electrical errors a bit here and there and the main culprit was found to be - a malfunctioned ignition coil. The affected coil (1 unit) replaced and my car has been ready for collection 15 mins ago. It's a great relief, only to leave me wondering : Should i replace all other ignition coils as well or i should replace it whenever it fails?

you may want to ping those on VAGMY or alitter further like VAGSG to get some answer as well.;)

Glad you fixed it. :) The 5053 is the official dealer computer- or one of them.

See here. VAG-COM is the cheaper alternative to these.

It's pretty normal for a misfire to be less noticeable as revs increase.

I don't think there's been a coil pack recall for Octavia II, as there haven't been the same quantity of failures.

tomcat/skippy41/cjb,

Ahah!! So Skoda has decided to keep mum on the ignition coil issue.

As im going outstation tomorrow, i could only get my car on Wednesday. Will report back on anything suspicious.

To be honest, I'm quite astonished to the detail of probable failures and accuracy of solution provided by fellow forumers here. In your free time, do you guys work as a consultant at workshop or something ? (lol).

When i looked at the list of errors, i was thinking, heck, there s no way they could reset all that. Since i left my car there for them to tweak, i coudn't immediately verify if they were able to rectify all those fault codes but hey, what the hell, as long as no more wobbly engine, should be fine wimmy.

Initially, i have considered the el-cheapo china made VAG 5053 scanner easily available online for around GBP80 for low-cost extreme portability but why was it not quite accepted by Skoda owners?

Last but not least, thank you all for the enormous assistance provided. We have a great community here and im glad im part of you guys, (ok,dunt get me wrong, u guys provide all those technical solution, me contributing more to questions/queries than actual solution haha)

Mr cjb,

How about the portable scanner? Any particular make you can recommend or model regularly used by fellow forumer?

Is there not a Skoda dealer near Bukit Bintang in KL? I'm sure I passed one in KL when I was staying there.

:) Mr nathanio,

That's showroom for Skoda & Mazda @ Jalan Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur.

The service centre has been relocated some 25km away to Glenmarie Shah Alam.

I'm currently working somewhere in Penang (different state that is 370km away from KL) so service centre for Skoda is very rare bordering non existence :rolleyes:

Im happy to report that my car is back to normal after the replacement of the ignition coil pack. According to the technician, all those electrical faults are gone after they have replaced the coil. Not that im questioning their judgement but really?

coil pack are a common fault. I would think that yrs were version a. i think it has gone to version F.

I certainly hope not to encounter any more of these coil pack failure thingy.:P

Edited by Aarifin