Fabia vRS with 312mm brakes in the Derby/Notts Area?

As the title suggests really - the std brakes on my Fabia vRS are rubbish (fluid is fresh and the pads have plenty left on them) and would appreciate a quick ride in a Fabia with the mod to see what the difference is. I've been driving our Octavia around this weekend and when I got back in the Fabia this morning, the difference in braking power was massive

I've searched the forum and whilst the majority suggest changing the calipers/disks for 312's, it has also been suggested that simply changing the pads would improve it, so I'd just like to see what the improvement is (if any?) to justify spending £400

Cheers

Not a fabia, but my Ibiza has 312mm's on it as a upgrade, and im pretty localish, if you happen to be free wednesday im down at Cadwell Park on track (perfect place!) or Shakespear Raceway on the 31st? Santa Pod on the 1st Nov? And again Cadwell Mid November time?

IME, you get similar braking with uprated pads on 288mm discs as you so with 'standard' 312mm discs, but you will suffer from faster disc wear (approx. 25% at a guess) and worse brake fade when really pushing it. But if you don't do many miles and/or don't take the car on the track, you'll probably not see the benefit...

ive upgraded my fabia to a front and rear octavia vrs set up and imo the brakes are still poor,my car is at jabba atm gettin a full st3 upgrade and im very concerned about stopping ability when i get it back,it has be be something to do with the servo/master cylinder system as the vacuum isnt taken from the inlet manifold so maybe that is the reason...i like a nice hard pedal and the fabia doesnt give me that feel.

IME, you get similar braking with uprated pads on 288mm discs as you so with 'standard' 312mm discs, but you will suffer from faster disc wear (approx. 25% at a guess) and worse brake fade when really pushing it. But if you don't do many miles and/or don't take the car on the track, you'll probably not see the benefit...

Not bothered about disk wear - I only do 20 miles per day and don't track the car. I'd prefer more feel at the pedal to be honest, but I'd trade that for stopping a bit better! Any pad recommendations?

ive upgraded my fabia to a front and rear octavia vrs set up and imo the brakes are still poor,my car is at jabba atm gettin a full st3 upgrade and im very concerned about stopping ability when i get it back,it has be be something to do with the servo/master cylinder system as the vacuum isnt taken from the inlet manifold so maybe that is the reason...i like a nice hard pedal and the fabia doesnt give me that feel.

I did suspect that it's more to do with the master cylinder than the disk size but just wanted to see if that was the case.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Not bothered about disk wear - I only do 20 miles per day and don't track the car. I'd prefer more feel at the pedal to be honest, but I'd trade that for stopping a bit better! Any pad recommendations?

I had Mintex Extremes, but they don't make them anymore. Other than avoiding EBC, I can't really recommend an alternative. Ferodo DS2500, I guess... :ne_nau:

ive upgraded my fabia to a front and rear octavia vrs set up and imo the brakes are still poor,i like a nice hard pedal and the fabia doesnt give me that feel.

there is something wrong then , when i had just the Octy 312s on my Fabia they were awesome stoppers, especially with the DS2500 fitted

what pads have you got fitted ?

As the title suggests really - the std brakes on my Fabia vRS are rubbish (fluid is fresh and the pads have plenty left on them) and would appreciate a quick ride in a Fabia with the mod to see what the difference is. I've been driving our Octavia around this weekend and when I got back in the Fabia this morning, the difference in braking power was massive

the pads could be glazed, gone hard, or whatever , you could even have rear handbrake issues, as this causes the rear pad adjustment to go out , causing a poor pedal, i know this from experience with mine

since i sorted my handbrake issues , my brakes have been better than they were when new, running standard OEM pads

the pads could be glazed, gone hard, or whatever , you could even have rear handbrake issues, as this causes the rear pad adjustment to go out , causing a poor pedal, i know this from experience with mine

since i sorted my handbrake issues , my brakes have been better than they were when new, running standard OEM pads

When you say issues, what do you mean? Handbrake works correctly and engages after 3/4 clicks. There's nothing wrong with the braking per se, it's more the pedal travel and the subsequent lack of bite. The Octavia and my S3 previously (can't really compare to that though, as it had vented disks the size of dinner plates) have great stoppers.

Pads aren't glazed or contaminated btw

the handbrake could be the right amount of clicks, but there have been a number of forum members with the O/S/R handbrake lever sticking on , when this lever doesn't return to its stop, the caliper piston does not adjust up for pad wear, therefore you get longer pedal travel

I have 312mm upgrade (with std OE pads) and it is a LOT better than the 288s.

Even if your car has not been remapped I would recommend the upgrade as it makes the car stop very very quickly. I would much rather be 'over-braked' than 'under-braked'.

the handbrake could be the right amount of clicks, but there have been a number of forum members with the O/S/R handbrake lever sticking on , when this lever doesn't return to its stop, the caliper piston does not adjust up for pad wear, therefore you get longer pedal travel

Thanks - where is the lever situated so I can check?

Thanks - where is the lever situated so I can check?

rear calipers, the handbrake cable pulls the lever, this has to be checked with the handbrake off , so make sure you chock the wheels before looking,

just look up behind the rear wheel, pics of calipers in this thread

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/handbrake-cable-issue-my-vrs/154579/?highlight=handbrake

rear calipers, the handbrake cable pulls the lever, this has to be checked with the handbrake off , so make sure you chock the wheels before looking,

just look up behind the rear wheel, pics of calipers in this thread

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/handbrake-cable-issue-my-vrs/154579/?highlight=handbrake

Thanks for your help..