Come home soon vRS! :(

Rob.

Coming up to 3 weeks since the Clio rear ended me, Still no Fabia.

Called the place up to find out why as they'd sent me a text saying they expected it done by the 15th, and at that point (13th) it was going in for paint.

Turns out they pretty much finished the car and then realised they'd put a standard Fabia bumper on it! They told me at the same time that they'd got the right part in, and it was being prepared for paint again.. so we'll see.. I hope they paint it all as one part though, and haven't got hold of a skirt to put on the bumper they've already fitted as I could end up with 3 shades of black that way.. however, The place is VAG paint approved so I think It'll be fine.

Wonder at what point someone said "That exhaust sticks out a bit, don't it?" Kinda wish I coulda seen it!

I don't mind the Insignia I've been driving, but it's kinda slow.. Even if you rev it, Really missing the "don't think, just look & go" overtaking power as the "well, that's a big gap and I've got a big gap so I'll put my foot down and move out in a sec" is getting boring now. That car really shouldn't have a 1.8 option.

OK, counselling session over ;)

Rob.

Edited by reflex88

Deary me! More like they couldn't get the bumper on at all, as a std bumper doesn't have an exhaust recess in it! You begin to wonder sometimes, with 'approved' bodyshops and insurance jobs!

Hope you get it back soon :thumbup:

Steve

Oh Sh!t! I've just realised I told them I thought the exhaust may have been a little bent.. I hope they didn't bend it down thinking that was why the bumper wouldn't fit! Guess that's first on the list of things to check when they call me.

:iagree:

How did they get the wrong bumper, did they not notice the difference?

Oh dear, I hope it works out alright for you:thumbup:

(now fades to credits with Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" playing out):D

Right, Cars been home a few days now. List of issues as follows!

1st thing I noticed was the skirt part of the bumper isn't mounted as tightly up to the top part as it was out of the factory, the gap around the top is slightly larger.. but i'll come back to that.

2nd thing, interior trim around rear window fitted a bit loosely, will remove and refit my self as long as no clips are broken. Don't blame them for this as they must have to get cars in and out so quick, and is was 95% there. I didn't notice until the red light that shines on my brisk sticker when braking came up wonky.

3rd thing, Once home the evening after collection noticed a strange shape on the roof, looked closer and found that clear coat had over sprayed and so the roof had lines and corners on it where they'd only masked off the back part and the factory paint was now gleaming in comparison.. in there defence they said pop back with it and they polished the roof while I waited this morning straight away.

4th thing, paint match Is different between the bumper new skirt and the new bumper. This is only visible once bumper is in direct sun or head light though. This I know is difficult to avoid when painting plastic parts with pearlecent paint and I'm ok with this but my only gripe is if they'd not painted the standard bumper before the skirt turned up they'd have been painted together and it's a shame as the match between the standard bumper and body is perfect! That said, could have easily just been all the wrong colour. and it is two different plastics.. so maybe would have turned out exactly the same! It's only a shade out, you can't tell 90% of the time.

And my last, and most recent gripe that I'll be on the phone a 3rd time to them about is the top far left and right parts of the skirt have now popped away from the bumper! I'm guessing, but I wonder if they painted the whole standard bumper and then ended up having to bond the skirt to the painted surface and it's too smooth to grip?

In total, what seems like an acceptable repair let down a little by the detail. I don't want to be to down on them because the structural repair seems very good and they took great care of the car (excluding the roof). And the paint is pretty good in most light. If it hadn't been for the fit of the skirt and accidental over spray I'd be absolutely made up with the work.

Going back to point 1 about the slightly gappy fit.. They did say that if I took it to a Skoda dealer and they agreed it was to large a gap to accept they'd take any advice and act on it.. I took it over to Willis Skoda in Ruislip and spoke to a guy who I know looks on here but won't mention names incase he doesn't want bombarding with PM's.

His opinion was that they haven't seen a repair with a gap quite so big and it is a little low, but really nothing to worry about.. If you hadn't known the car before then it wasn't obvious. In general it was a good repair.

Whilst looking he noticed my Brisky sticker, and sorted me a good price on a service and future works, so massive thumbs up for Willis! Us Briskys are everywhere ;) Oh, and if you read this mate.. Thanks! PM me if your registered as I stupidly didn't ask your user name!

To round up, I'm debating if to ask them just to do the bumper skin again now it's also pulled away a little on the edges.. or d'ya all think I should just get them to stick the loose parts and be happy it's a good enough colour match?

Edited by reflex88

If you're not happy, send it back!

I know I'd be making them respray the whole back bumper in one colour!

Thanks Babs, Think I needed someone to say something like that, I just phoned up and very polity complained and asked them to have another look at it. Think I might find some pictures of the original bumper to show them the gap I'm on about and how tight it should really be. I know there's a good pic of PEMBO's rear fitted perfectly on here I could show them as well because that was a standard bumper skirt retrofit, so it can be done tightly as a post factory install!

And either way, it really shouldn't be coming away 4 days after collection!

I think you're letting them off way too easily myself; that's quite an extensive list you have there!

I know I'd be going mental, but others may well take a different approach :)

Steve

Here, this is the gap, bare in mind that it's coming away at the arch as well now!

4046250681_e21816ae21_o.jpg

Do people think this is OK? Or should it really be a bit higher up, they're pretty much flush out of the factory, aren't they? Is that something that only the factory can achieve though?

I would certainly not be happy with that at all. If I've had a knock I expect my car to be restored to absolutely perfect factory-fresh condition... and wouldn't accept any excuses for the car being in any other condition.

It's ok, I found one I took just after the knock of the exact gap! I knew I did that for a reason ;)

What do people think, can the top, factory fit be achieved post factory or will it always be like the bottom fit?

4046342523_11a0e1b10b_o.jpg

Edited by reflex88

That Looks a lot worse than when I saw it the other day bud, Looks like its not been bonded correctly on the corner, I say take it back! the gap I could live with but the odds are its just going to get worse, Having seen it in the flesh I can say the paint is real good, but the fit is letting it down, Cheers Jason .

Mini Update:

Car gone back for bumper skin to be re-done. Site manager agreed something not quite right now edges started to come away as well, also agreed paint between the two plastic parts should be a closer match as it's normally easier to match plastic to plastic. So, I'm a happy bunny as he also said (with out prompting) he'd give Skoda a call to see if they can advise to achieving a better fit.

He did what I'd wanted to do since I saw the edge coming away.. give it a yank! When he did the whole side of the skirt came away! FAIL! lol.. I'm hopeful they'll get it right this time and still think they're an OK outfit who just got it a little wrong this time.

Of course, it also helped my case that we followed a black Fabia vRS for a short period whilst he dropped me at the station (I didn't need a car for this week).. Dunno who you were, was High Wycombe about half ten near the station.. either way, Thanks ;)

Edited by reflex88

Sounds promising. I think the mature and diplomatic way you've approached them will have helped no end, rather than the guns ablazing approach many would have taken :P

No thanks for me? Gutted :( :P

• 2 weeks later...

Right!

Had it back a couple of weeks now and they did do a good job on the 2nd attempt. The Fit is 99% factory and now I have no gap, this makes me much happier with the repair.

Only down side? The paint match, they got it closer the 1st time (as Jason@willis confirms above) it's not miles out now though and if you saw the car on a forecourt you wouldn't question it. On top of that the "difference" that is there is no more than a new car bumper to body match and also is only identifiable on the drivers side in strong light.. the back and passenger side are a 99% match, leaving the driver side at maybe, 84%?? (it would be the drivers side, wouldn't it) ;)

After everything? I'm gonna accept it now, but I'll post pictures later so people can see what I'm rambling on about, I'm sure some of you will tell me it needs to go back and others will say it's fine... We'll see.. maybe a poll is required? ;)