Centre console removal

cam7777

Hi chaps

I am after some advice on centre console removal. I cant figure out how to remove the bit of plastic thats located in front of the handbrake, I have pushed, pulled, prized, yanked, poked a screwdriver in, twisted, swore, sweated and then gave up.

I know my way around cars but this little sod of a bit of plastic will not come out!

Any ideas before I snap it off?

Thanks in advance

It is tight isn't it? It does pull out. Easiest is to hold the back upright piece under the handbrake lever and pull toward the front. Once the corner is loose you can get something underneath if necessary. HTH

What have you already unscrewed? Do you have a Haynes manual it's in there. I have partially removed some of my dash when installing my boost gauge - off memory I think you need to remove the majority of it including the glovebox to gain access to some of the torx screws. I'll have a look at my Haynes later, I think its in the back of my car so ill grab it at lunch, I can scan you the page and email if you like?

John

Do you mean the small piece of plastic directly in front of the handbrake, that is in the well underneath the handbrake lever?

If so, it just pulls out. Just hook your finger underneath and give it a good tug. You know how to tug don't you;)

Thanks Woolfy, thats the bit!

I have pulled and pulled and feel it's gonna snap if I pull anymore harder, perhaps I should order a new one before trying again.

Thanks

I'm sure I have one knocking around in my garage, as my fabia is "sans" 90% of the interior trim. I'll happilly post it to you if yours breaks :thumbup:

Edited by Jonny5ive
not sure how to spell happily? it just looks wrong :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Dont pull and break the centre console. If you have already removed the two torque screws at the rear of the unit by levering out the insert. Pull up the gear lever gater surround and remove the two torque screws (smaller than the rear fixings). The hinged ash tray? will now come out without any bother.

By inserting a small light alongside the gear lever mechanism and by using a small mirror you can just make out two further screws holding the lower centre to the main console. These screws are facing upwards and are extremely difficult to remove with no chance of getting a torque driver in. I would describe this task as impossible. It is obviious these two items were assembled before fitment to the car on the production line. The centre console removal on the Mk1 was a doddle in comparison.

This stumped me and I suggest you leave well alone?