Brake Discs for 07 VRs TDi

if you want better braking without changing the size of your discs or calipers, its not the discs you want to be changing.

Bigger results will be seen by fitting uprated performance brake pads than by uprating discs.

ferrodo DS2500 pads are highly regarded. JKM sell these for about 70 quid iirc.

Uprating the discs to a performance doesnt necessitate more braking power, but maybe better cooling, or with grooves it will help to de-glaze your pads. Dont worry about drilled discs, as a quick trawl of the net wil show lots of pics of drilled discs having cracks, even from the likes of AP and brembo.

Also look into uprated brake fluid. and possibly brake lines.

you would probably be able to get a set of high performance pads, braided brake lines and performance brake fluid, for less than a set of performance discs.

If you are after doing the full works though look into ATE, Tarox, Zero sixty etc

Thanks for the advise guys, the main reason that i am looking at new discs is that i had it in for service on friday at my main dealer (see moan in another section) and one of the things that they wanted to charge me for was changing all discs and pads due to corrosion and pitting on the backside of the discs.

They quoted me about £43 for a front disc and £53 for pads but if they fitted them it would be £243 for the front and £238 for the rear.

Now all being well i can change them myself (done it before) so might as well save a few hundred quid on the rip off labour charges.

So my main thinking behind the question which i probably should have said at the time but was in a rush, should i stick with OEM discs or swap for grooved. I too have read a lot about cracked drilled discs so dont worry Simon, i wont be going that route.

Andy

Pitting of the discs would indicate that you use the brakes relatively lightly and so 'performance' pads may not necessarily be the way to go. Hard use of the brakes tends to lead to disc wear and a 'wear lip' - but not corrosion and pitting.

Some performance pads (e.g. the Ferodos) tend to respond less well when cold and need a higher pedal pressure until they have warmed up. If you use the brakes gently you may not want this.

I would suggest sticking with standard discs and pads, but buying a branded (e.g. ATE, Pagid) item from EuroCarParts and fitting yourself. Its an easy job on the Octavia.

Change the fluid every 2 years. You are unlikely to benefit from a 'racing' fluid. Braided brake hoses will improve pedal feel somewhat, but not the braking force applied at the caliper.

I only bought the car about 2 months ago so it was probably caused by the previous owner which seems to have been mainly motorway miles.

Anyone who knows my style of driving will know that i'm not easy on the brakes :) when i got rid of my subaru, i was on my 4th set of pads on 30k.

Just had the fluid changed so no need to worry on that point.

To be fair to the dealer the prices for the parts seemed quite reasonable, discs were less than what my dad paid for his for his CRV!

I will have a look at euro though if for comparison if nothing else.

I'll let you know how i get on.