mpg on new tyres

I had some new tyres fitted (VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA) 2 weeks ago, and my fuel consumption was averaging never less than 550 on a tank. My fuel consumption is showing 150 left till empty and ive done 360 estimated about 520. Do these tyres get better or is this the best its gona get because if this is the best then i think a trip to tyre fitters for some pilot sports might be on the cards.

Any comments on these helpfull

cheers

it could be the time of year as my mpg has dropped 10% in recent days with the temperature dropping, yet im doing the same journey and seeing less mpg, am sure this happened last year then spring time a dramatic improvement in mpg came about.

It's partly going to be cold weather as that always has a small impact. Also, the Vred's from memory on the most recent Evo tyre test suggested that they weren't the greatest for economy but then again, no performance tyre is. Just be thankful it's not the 4.7mpg drop I got when moving from 205 P7's to 225 F1 GSD3's! PS2's are better for me by 1.5mpg on average than the F1's though. If I remember tonight I'll pull out the copy of Evo that has the results and post them up if you want?

New tyres will have a slightly bigger diameter than old tyres as they're less worn. Probably only a small percentage, but since all the car does is count how many times the wheel turns to work out the distance travelled, you're guaranteed to get less indicated miles for the same amount of fuel for this reason, but it should only be a few percent and if this is the only cause you'll refuel about as often as before, just with less indicated miles.

It's partly going to be cold weather as that always has a small impact. Also, the Vred's from memory on the most recent Evo tyre test suggested that they weren't the greatest for economy but then again, no performance tyre is. Just be thankful it's not the 4.7mpg drop I got when moving from 205 P7's to 225 F1 GSD3's! PS2's are better for me by 1.5mpg on average than the F1's though. If I remember tonight I'll pull out the copy of Evo that has the results and post them up if you want?

Its a balancing act - £200 for 2 tyres against £300 for the ps2 tyre = £100 saving (2 tyres)

fuel economy ps2 = minium average 550, max 620 miles

fuel economy vred = so far 510 = losing 40 miles at 10p = £4 per tank

I do over 25k a year so i could be £181 mimimum worse off.

i think i'll give the vreds about 5k and if the fuel economy doesnt change i'll go back to the ps2 as the difference will be to much.

My PD105 managed 52mpg on a trip from Rotherham to Great Yarmouth recently, on the way up i wasn't exactly sitting about in some places. But on the way back i was poodling along at 60-65mph most of the way back.

I managed 52mpg from a tank, i have found the mpg has dropped recently around town though from around 400miles to a tank to sort of 360- 370 (stop start driving). And I thought the tyres could be a cause of the mileage drop, as they are sticky tyres. But i suppose it could also be the weather, as im just about at work before the engine is up to temp now.

But then again i fitted the tyres as a safety aspect, not for economy.

Strangely I got the best mpg I've ever got (Car bought before this summer) since the weather got colder. 64.2 MPG yesterday on a mix of country roads, motorway and urban. Usually it's high 50's when I drive it for economy... With the CR engine about 10 MPG better does that mean 70+ mpg is possible in something as big as an Octy :o?

I'm 'suddenly' getting a 10% increase in fuel consumption. 42mpg on my commute to Buxton. I filled up with BP diesel instead of my usual Total. But I put it down to the usual random nature of every day motoring rather than the fuel.

Well i think i have a Big problem as i can avegage about 50 mpg but i'm now averaging 38mpg:eek::eek::eek:

I've tried esso diesel instead of the supermarket and it looks like its getting worse - performance wise its goes like stink.

even give or take 5% on these tyres it doesnt make sense so i'm now thinking its mechanical. My only indication it could be something is the exhaust light stays on with the ignition but goes out on start up - the manual says thats fine but it never used to do that as i notice anything lights up on the dash.

My service is due in about 1700 miles(3 weeks worth) so its going to be looked at then.

Is the exhaust light used to indicate the DPF is working or that there is a DPF fault? Not sure if your engine has a diesel particulate filter, but the more I hear about them the happier I am I don't have one...

ok, I've just put 2 pilot sports back on today so I have 2 very, very new VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA 225/40 zr18 92y tyres that have done about 800 miles. Open to sensible offers on these. They can be collected from near j4 m6 (by NEC) or Coventry. Postage can be arranged but will obviously cost more and payment made before tyres are sent.

They have NO damage and are perfect but I can't afford the drop in MPG so they have been replaced.

I had some new tyres fitted (VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA) 2 weeks ago, and my fuel consumption was averaging never less than 550 on a tank. My fuel consumption is showing 150 left till empty and ive done 360 estimated about 520. Do these tyres get better or is this the best its gona get because if this is the best then i think a trip to tyre fitters for some pilot sports might be on the cards.

Any comments on these helpfull

cheers

I think I managed to get 500 miles out of a tank once but it was no fun at all. If you can get 550 out of a tank you're not driving the car as intended :thumbdwn:

I think I managed to get 500 miles out of a tank once but it was no fun at all. If you can get 550 out of a tank you're not driving the car as intended :thumbdwn:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/fuelings/335734.html

Most I've done on a tank in the VRS is 580 miles, but my best brim to brim economy recorded on there is 51.5 which was all VERY fast motorway / A road (but hardly any urban).

point 1: The days of me driving like a TW*T are long gone - 9 points and close to losing my license wasnt worth it.

point 2: I get to my appointments relaxed and stress free from my sedate driving style.

point 3: The more i get out of a tank of diesel the more i claim from the tax man - so being frugal pays in the long run.

point 4: I've sat in the outside lane of a motorway doing xxmph and its no fun either speeding up, slowing down because their is always someone who wants to go faster than you or is slowing everybody else up and its no FUN doing that. :rolleyes: