How long should a battery last?

cmcm789

I replaced the original factory fitted battery (Varta) on my 1.9TDi last year after eleven and a half years as it was getting tired! I usually expect three to five years out of a battery depending on quality. I replaced the original with a high power AC Delco. As for charging faults, I suspect a battery wouldn't last a month without needing a proper charge if there was a problem with charging i.e. alternator. As for battery quality, you could buy two identical batteries and expose them to the same use and they would probably expire at different times. Unfortunately, it can be luck (or lack of it) when it comes to battery life but it is well worth spending a little extra and getting a quality battery with a minimum three year warranty.

I posted an update for anyone interested,but put it in a different thread by mistake.

I bought a Bosch S5 005 for £65.98 inc VAT at Costco.

I used jump leads & another car to keep the terminal leads connected to a battery while changing the Octavia one,so no issues afterwards re. losing any settings,windows radio & clock etc

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Like Briskoadian, I have had excellent service from my battery.

I have had my Octavia from new in 2002 and the battery is still the original.

The external charger is never used and the car is kept outside all year.

THATS OVER 13 YEARS ON THE ORIGINAL BATTERY

I have never had a battery last so well in any previous car.

..zombie thread back from the dead!

I've yet to see a battery cash til to scrapyard so far..

Haven't looked too closely but I think mine is original, Halfords "free winter check" (I was low on screen wash - they only give you a litre!) told me my battery was beyond help. Over a year on and it still firing up first time every time.. but the dash lights dimmed a bit when we had our first hard frost the other week - switched on heated windows, headlights, blower on full etc first thing on a -3 morning

guess i'll be buying a battery in the next few weeks now i've said that  :D