Done something stupid... Doh! (pics inside)

Hey folks.

So I did my valve clearances today like I have done many time before only this time I did something pretty dumb!

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

P1000929Medium.jpg

P1000930Medium.jpg

So I'm pretty sure you've spotted where I went wrong... And yes had taken it for a test drive for about 5 mins which included a blast at high RPM! :o No noticeable adverse affects on the running of the car.

What should I do... it's a pretty sizable chunk of metal that definitely isn't in the top where the valves are any more! :rolleyes::cool:

Should I leave it for a 1000miles or so then change the oil?

Phil

It's about 2cm long and about 1cm wide and 0.25mm thick!

It could have disappeared down one of the push rod holes as they're pretty big.

I've had a really good look round the rocker chamber and can't see it. Might take the rocker gear out quickly as that will give me a better view of things... just been waiting for it to cool down a bit...

Phil

It's the season for it! My mechanic dropped the speedo drive cog into my felicia gearbox last week, but it's only made of plastic and shouldn't break anything inside. In your case, it may be best to take the sump off and see if the feeler blade end is in there. If it has gone down that far, I don't think it would cause any problems as it won't go through the strainer on the oil pump pick up pipe. But it would be better to get it out all the same.

The worst case scenario is that it's got lodged at one of the cam followers, if it's gone down the side of one of the push rods. In that case, you might try fishing for it with one of those magnetic extending rods. Try the magnet on the feeler blades first to make sure they will be attracted to it (may be some kind of non-ferrous alloy).

All the best Phil.

Well took the rocker gear out and no sign of it still. I took the push rods out carefully to see if had settled on top of one of the push rod but it wasn't there either.

I did, however, find some little shards of metal in there :o Looks like the engine has "nommed" it up during that short test drive! :rolleyes:

Just been to the gym and back (10 mins each way) and it's been fine!

Just see how I go and do an early oil change.

Phil

Aye. Was going to do an early one anyway as I have been a bit lapse with oil changes lately!

I'm sure it'll be right!

I just couldn't believe it when I just happened to check under the bonnet when I got back from the run and saw the feeler blades sat there! lol

Phil

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's made it's way into the sump it won't do any damage down there, the oil strainer would stop it getting inside. I've had the "splash plate" that's under the filler hole break up and be rattling around inside there for a good few days' hard use (rally gb 07) and it didn't do any damage as such, although the plate looked very rounded and smoothed off after the valve gear had had a good go at it.

When you drain the oil it may come out, but then it may not, depends how it falls in the sump and flows, etc.

sack the mechanic for sure lol

Aye! :rolleyes: :P

Didn't even know there was a cover there btw Dave! Might have a look although I don't actually have a magnet and have a feeling that the feeler blade won't stick any way.

I've done about 20+ miles now with no probs.

If it were to fall down one of the push rod holes where would it go? Is that the camshaft there? The could it have gone down to the sump? If that's the case then I'm not too worried.

Don't know too much about the internals of these engines as I've never been inside one really.

phil

If it fell down a pushrod hole then it would probably end up next to one of the cam followers. You can easily get to that as the front cover comes off. That's the most likely place for it to end up, although it may not stay there for long; there's a decent-sized hole between each "pair" of cam followers, so it could well end up in the sump from there, just depends where it fell, I guess.