Wipers have failed

PH68

Got in my car this morning and the front wipers would not work.The rear wipers would, and the washer pumps would.I changed the wiper fuse.But they still didn't workFor about 20 minutes of my journey to work, my wipers would not work.I tried on, off, fast, intermittent etc.Each time nothing.Then they decided to work!I have a 51 reg TDi Elegance, so it doesn't have the rain sensing wipers.In the 170000+ miles that this car has done, this has never happened before.Any thoughts?

"Either way it's a ball ache" - Yep, having just taken my linkages off to re-lubricate them and to check the motor I agree. I had real problems taking the window trim off, and I'm dreading trying to put it back on. There's a bit of a knack to getting the wiper arms off. There's quite a knack to getting the linkages out and back in the car, involving switching off the motor by the ignition key to set the linkages at the right orientation. If you do take the linkage apart, my top tips are to draw a diagram of how things go before you take your sockets in hand - I made the mistake of not doing so and it cost me time & effort - and to carefully mark where the motor drive & linkage socket align. You don't need any special tools, just screwdrivers, sockets/spanners and pliers if you take the linkages apart (helps for circlips). As towards cost, I think a motor is around £79 + VAT, say £90, but I got one from eBay at £70, new from a Skoda dealer - if you do the same make sure that the part numbers match (the last letter in particular). The linkages? Probably best getting secondhand on eBay or from the sales section here. Digressing, I had a Renault where the wipers worked magnificently except when it rained, caused by a knackered motor (shorted out when air damp). Good luck. Ian

I have just experience a similar problem with my rear wiper, It stops half way, other times I cannot switch it off. I suspect it is the relay, which is mounted in a out of the way spot. Haynes manula has failed me again, it does not tell me which relay only that I have to take the the inside Facia Panel Assembly off to get at it. is this necessary? who designed this?

• 3 weeks later...

As an update which may help others with this problem. I noticed water dripping from the wiper motor housing, so I ruled out the relay. I removed and dismantle the wiper unit and motor. It was a mess inside with grease and water mixed. I removed the worm wheel gear unit, on the underside attached is the switch arrangement for the wiper parking, I cleaned everything and re-assemble (The motor is tricky) the leak is in a seal assembly on the end of the shaft for the washer. This is a crazy design and cannot work very well, it is dissapointing to think that this unit has probably not worked for more than a total of 2 hours through out the life of the car and failed.

I wrapped PTFE tape on the shaft to help to seal, in case I decide to use the washer again, but for now I have disconnected the rear washer pipe at the pump under the bonnet, and will only use the wiper.

Edited by Roker