Maf problems

moo

Hi all,

Had my car scanned the other day and got error 16486 - Maf Sensor signal too low - intermittent.

So I've changed the maf and I've still got the cel light appearing on the dash and car seem to have gone into limp mode, it didn't do this before I changed the maf.

Does it need to have the ecu reset before it will realise that the maf has been changed and will then go back to normal or should it figure it out on it's own.

I was just wondering if now that I've changed the maf it's gone into to limp as the signal will be higher than it was expecting with the dodgy maf.

Or could it just be that I've been unlucky and I've managed to replace one dodgy maf with another ?

Thanks

moo

I didn't try it with the maf unplugged, just thought I'd change it as the scan reported the maf as being the offending item.

it's still got the cel light on the dash after I changed it, just wondering whether to unplug the battery for half hour to completely reset it or would it just be better to reset using vagcom ?

It's a pain in the butt at the moment, thought it would have run a lot better after changing the maf not go berserk and go into limp mode .

I disconnected my MAF a while back to test it after the car was running with no boost every now and then. It didn't seem to make much difference so I guessed it wasn't the MAF (it turned out to be the N75 valve) so I pulled into Sainsbury's after the drive from the work and reconnected it.

When I came out after shopping the car started going nuts :o Revs were all over the place and it was nearly stalling, and the ASR light was on so I had a tricky journey home. I did a scan and the error code was a MAF reading error. I cleared the code and next day I started it and it was fine, and the light stayed out, so I guess it just needed time to adjust to the MAF being off and then on again.

It might just need a little time to adjust to the new readings. Hope you get it sorted :thumbup:

yer I've still got the receipt, i'll disconnect the battery tonight and see what happens.

Just keep my fingers crossed that sorts it out

cheers for your help

Tim pop round over weekend and I will reset the Check light using VAGCOM for you and then see how it goes. If you have standard radio if you unplug battery you will need the code to make radio work again.

call me later

Edited by Bowders1