buying a vrs

bodace5

hi all i'm new and i'm looking at buying an octavia vrs as i need a family car as i have a baby on the way. i'm currently driving a felicia diesel which is why i want another skoda as that has been bullet proof. the issue i have is that the ones in my price range have more then 100k on the clock and i want to know if its a good idea as i need it to be as reliable as the felicia? sorry for the dribble. cheers

Guest westallc

welcome to the forum

the vrs is a very reliable car if it has been looked after

things to check

1. full service history

2. had the cambelts change with water pump at correct time

shop around and wait for the right on you wont go wrong with a well looked after one seem them with up to 200k and still going strong.

I bought mine new nearly 4 years ago and have no intention of changing anytime soon. We have two children - 3yrs and 1yr - and it manages to cope with all the associated stuff for weekends away. It is very reliable and the only gripe is the rattling glovebox and the half a gallon of water that pours in the boot each time the hatch is opened.

It's a good move, just look around for a good one and drive a few to compare. You'll know when it's the right car.

Mine has over 120k on the clock now and I know a couple of members one with 135k and one with over 150k and they are still going strong.

The bodywork won't be as nice as a low mileage one but provided they have been regularly serviced they are just as reliable as cars with half the miles.

hi all i'm new and i'm looking at buying an octavia vrs as i need a family car as i have a baby on the way. i'm currently driving a felicia diesel which is why i want another skoda as that has been bullet proof. the issue i have is that the ones in my price range have more then 100k on the clock and i want to know if its a good idea as i need it to be as reliable as the felicia? sorry for the dribble. cheers

i bought my 2004 octy vrs 18 months ago with 100k on it,it now has 118k on the clock,apart from some tyres & a service & new brake pads & discs the only 2 problems i have had was a coil pack failed(£28 to sort) & a rear side door that wouldnt stay shut! (cost nothing to repair other than a couples of hours of my time)a friend of mine has a vrs with 60k on it & mine is nicer to drive,as others have said dont be put off by higher mileages,mine had a full skoda history when i brought it.

thanks for all the replies, there all very reassuring on the high mileage front. do these cars accomodate an isofix child seat? cheers

Isofix fittings come as standard, but you'll find attaching base fairly tight due to shape of rear seats. Not really a problem though.

Had my vRS since Feb. Brilliant car, fast, economical and practical, but spoilt by the number of times I've had to take it back to the dealers. Main problem was loss of turbo boost once engine turned off then on again. Took a long time to isolate the problem to a faulty accelerator pedal! On test driving, I would recommend checking for this one, as it's a pain to diagnose and leaves the car as a standard 1.8, which is not the point of buying a vRS. Unfortunately, this was not the end, as the engine warning light then came on for some time. Finally sorted that one, I think. Broken combustion valve. I would also check the electric window lock on the driver's door, as this can be temperamental. My car had only 52k on the clock when purchased, so in hindsight I would actually recommend buying a higher mileage car, where hopefully these niggles may have been sorted some time ago. If you don't mind £215 (soon to be £245) road tax, then this is a great family car.

If your looking for a family car which is still nippy but good on fuel, tax and insurence !

get a 110 tdi or better still a 130pd and get thenm both remapped! Im sure your ll be impressed with the result and VRS's are thusty on fuel and tax!

The 1.8T is pretty good on fuel for an engine of its type.

Also not too sure on suggesting a standard diesel when the guy is considering a vRS? There is more to the vRS than the bhp output...

Also not too sure on suggesting a standard diesel when the guy is considering a vRS? There is more to the vRS than the bhp output...

i have heard that the petrol is a stronger engine then the diesel and you can get 35 mpg all day long from the petrol? i do like the look of the vrs too

i have heard that the petrol is a stronger engine then the diesel and you can get 35 mpg all day long from the petrol? i do like the look of the vrs too

Well... my combined MPG has sat at 32mpg for so tens of thousands of miles and I don't hang about in my one ;)

you can get 35 mpg all day long from the petrol?

If you spend most of the time doing motorway driving yes, but if you're driving around town a lot and giving it some beans it will drop to somewhere around 30mpg

It still makes me laugh that I can get much better mpg out of the Skoda than my first car, a 1.6 litre N/A Ford Fiesta which was lucky to get 28mpg!!!

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

Yeah the engine is ok on fuel for its type and its not all about bhp, torque is what matters but ive loved the 3 that ive had in both the economy and performace

There is more to a vrs agreed but not a lot more than a standard Octy, its just got a nicer interior and a better steering wheel lol

Dribble diesel engiones are always strionger than a petrol, just by the nateure of the fuel

With the VRS you get the two tone interior, different steering wheel, gear knob and dials, a spoiler and different front bumper.

You also get a lower, stiffer suspension setup than the diesel Octys. Oh, and 17" spider alloys.

All the other fancy bits you get with the VRS can be had as options or standard fit on some of the higher end models like the L&K and Elegance though.

Torque by itself doesn't matter, what matters is the ability to hold that torque all the way up the rev range, something that turbodiesels don't do.

theres a nice one on ebay with 90 thou on clock for 2795 i was going to get it and i got him down to 2300 on the phone...but it ended

being to far as it was in cardiff and would of cost me loads in fuel to get there and back with 2 cars....,...i got mine with 74 thou for 2300....but av got probs all ready

and i got it off a 50 odd old fella....and he wanted 2900...... always take the car for a drive for 10mins as i didnt....be care full when you buy a car

as people will never tell the truth........