Voice Control On Eligance (Question Changed)

Ray_Green

No knowledge on the Bolero, I'm afraid - but as Simbo said, the Columbus now has this facility.

Certainly my (post Wk45) Columbus has voice control - a feature that James at Allams said wasn't even on their latest Superb that had only just arrived in the showroom. Mike is opened by pressing a button on the unit itself or the steering wheel. You can then get it to navigate to a destination, control the radio and media etc all hands free. I'm sure it does a zillion things more than I've sussed so far!

Columbus is expensive but works brilliantly in everything it does from music to the phone, navigation, traffic etc. I now have 10GB of music on the hard drive - great to be able to choose albums to play without rooting through the glovebox for the right CD! Music quality (with the speaker upgrade) is as good as my ears could ever need.

Isn't voice control specific to the Columbus only & then, only on new firmware with a microphone installed?

Does the Bolero have any concept of voice control & how/where is the microphone connected?

Thats why I'm confused.! The book says;

Operation of the telephone on the multifunction steering wheel*

The driver can set the basic functions of the telephone by simply operating the buttons

located on the steering wheel so that he can concentrate on the traffic situation

without being distracted as little as possible by operating the telephone.

(If I hold down the PTT (Press to talk) button. I can give voice commands like Save, Name ect. And I get a differant responce to each command. I guess that mike used is the hands free mike.)

This applies only if your vehicle has been equipped with the telephone preinstallation

at the factory.

Edited by Ray_Green

Has anyone got the voice control working on their Eligance fitted with a Bolero Radio head?

Yes, this works in my car with no satnav, just the Bolero. In my opinion it's still easier to use either the touch-screen or the maxidot for calling, but each to his own ;)

Ray... if you'd posted in #1 what you did in #5... all would be clear! :D

This is the phone kit that's voice controlled, not the Bolero... :thumbup:

Thats nothing, you should have read #1 before I revised it! :giggle:

• 1 year later...

Yes, this works in my car with no satnav, just the Bolero. In my opinion it's still easier to use either the touch-screen or the maxidot for calling, but each to his own ;)

Hi

Cant find anything in the manual about voice control - how do you activate it? It started on its own once but that was it!

John

If you press the left hand scroll wheel it will then work....

You can only control the BT carlit, not the Bolero, whereas the Columbus can be controlled by voice.

Mike

Yes, on a Bolero you can only control the phone via the voice control. Press the left scroll wheel once and Lady Pardon starts to holler. Then you can scroll the wheel up and down to adjust the volume she shouts at you (and the level of the Bluetooth connection bong at the same time). Of limited use on a Bolero to be honest. I tried it a few times and Lady Pardon refused to phone who I told her to phone... So the ONLY command I now know and shout at her when I inadvertently rouse her from her sleep is CANCEL. Which puts her to bed soon enough before she can utter Pardon, Pardon, Pardon ad infinitum.

Yes, on a Bolero you can only control the phone via the voice control. Press the left scroll wheel once and Lady Pardon starts to holler. Then you can scroll the wheel up and down to adjust the volume she shouts at you (and the level of the Bluetooth connection bong at the same time). Of limited use on a Bolero to be honest. I tried it a few times and Lady Pardon refused to phone who I told her to phone... So the ONLY command I now know and shout at her when I inadvertently rouse her from her sleep is CANCEL. Which puts her to bed soon enough before she can utter Pardon, Pardon, Pardon ad infinitum.

Same here, no matter how clearly I speak it doesn't understand a word, the one time it decided it understood me it called the wrong person.

Cancel is the only word it always understands.

If I talk clearly the Columbus voice control works quite well as does the telephone.

Try talking to your computer, and see what it some up with......emoticon-0140-rofl.gif Normally nothing, but if I am running Dragon Dictate on my mac then most of the time it is very good. Surprisingly good. The point is if you don't talk clearly you do get garbage out..........emoticon-0140-rofl.gif And I think I'm talking clearly until what appears on screen is nothing like what I thought I saidemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Mike

Thans guys - I managed to find tge info in a supplement. So far it works a treat.... maybe I'm posh?!! lol

in ref to 9000000 comments:-

In preparation for delivery day I have bought our soon-to-arrive SM a new toy namely a Tomtom via live 120.

Brilliant satnav- would recommend it to anyone providing they don't try to use voice commands

Virtually any command you issue comes back with " you want me to fry my central processor is this correct?"

I have tried nice, calm, benign, fraught and 'lost it' voice but still no recognition.

Haven't tried it yet but perhaps, I am told, that as they were designed in America it will work better if you speak to it in an American drawl!

and if that is so perhaps our SM's equipment will work better if we do Herr Flick impersonations

just a thought

just a thought

TomTom is a Dutch company. So a drawl is needed yes but not an American one. And speak like Sean Connery with all your S sounds as a sscchhhh and it might just work!

TomTom is a Dutch company. So a drawl is needed yes but not an American one. And speak like Sean Connery with all your S sounds as a sscchhhh and it might just work!

If you want a prime example of "Dutchlish" listen to Steve Mclaren, currently out of work soccer manager. :rofl:

Fred

thank you Mish Moneypenny. A leshon well learnt

no, still doesn't work. back to the universal language of finger prodding for now

Edited by Bohica