The mileage: how much is really TOO much?

bi1b0

I wouldn't touch a car with such a high mileage.... Seems a high price to pay for it too !

I wouldn't got on the taxi driver theory either, as I thought that when buying my Octy, which in the last two months

has had £1500 spent on repairs after two breakdowns, £340 on servicing and has now been in the garage for

three weeks after a third breakdown.

That said I did have 12K trouble free miles bringing the mileage upto 76K before the problems started.....

Back to the Taxi theory, I was in Malaysia earlier in the year and got the same taxi to work every day, It had seen

better days, but it was an original 1.5 Proton and had clocked up 575k km and was still going...

That said I did have 12K trouble free miles bringing the mileage upto 76K before the problems started.....

Do I understand correctly that you bought yours at 64,000 miles? May I ask also how old has it been at that time, too? Well, in any case, I suppose that today's cars are more fragile then those of the pre-turbo era -- at least the diesels. In fact, I know many people having their newly bought cars stay in the garage for weeks, sometimes even months. Not Skodas, thankfully, though. :D

Do I understand correctly that you bought yours at 64,000 miles? May I ask also how old has it been at that time, too? Well, in any case, I suppose that today's cars are more fragile then those of the pre-turbo era -- at least the diesels. In fact, I know many people having their newly bought cars stay in the garage for weeks, sometimes even months. Not Skodas, thankfully, though. :D

Yes, 63/64k miles when I bought mine and will be 5 years old in Febuary 2010. I've read that modern diesel engines are not as reliable as older ones... Not just Skoda's !

Yes, 63/64k miles when I bought mine and will be 5 years old in Febuary 2010. I've read that modern diesel engines are not as reliable as older ones... Not just Skoda's !

That's what worries me, too. And, again, the "BMM" engine is probably still too new, so one can only guess how durable it will turn out to be.

It seems a lot of money for the mileage. Even though the engine might be OK the rest of the car has 160,000 kms of wear on it. If you do buy it make sure it has a fully stamped history.

It's not cheap for sure. But for a Scout and in Germany, it seems a fair price, if not really a bargain. And, again, while the mileage is high, the car is quite new in terms of age. The history is a must, though -- I fully agree with that.

i personally wouldn't go for so high mileage for fear of having to replace more worn parts in the future.

160'000 km is nothing, especially on diesels. As long as the price reflects the higher mileage then what is the problem.

A car doing 160k km on a motorway will most likely have less worn suspension and other parts than the same car that has done 80k over inner city speed bumps etc.