fuel consumption

a-za-za-z

hi all, can anyone please share mgp (uk gallon) that their skoda fabia 1.4 16v does?

mines 2002 fabia 1.4 16v and it only does around 23 mpg when i drive in the city..if this is bit too less then can anyone pls suggest what could be the possible cause for this and how it can be improved?

cheers

Can only tell you what my previous car a Polo 1.4 16V used to get as an average. It was 37 MPG

23MPG is very low, I would suggest checking the last time the air filter was replaced, and having the car scanned for fault codes. It could be over fueling due to any one of a number of things.

See my signiture for my MPG on my current commute. (About 3 miles in town, 17miles of A-roads with 3 roundabouts).

In town, that figure you get sounds about 6MPG less than what I get in town (in the summer), but I don't drive with fuel consumption in mind.

In this cold wheather it will be lower than in the summer (about 4MPG by my car/maths), so it should start improving as the temperature increases.

There has been some other posts on this topic if you care to search. With my 1.4 16v, I get on average around 45 mpg on mixed town/A road runs and can get over 50 mpg on a longer run. I find the trip computer is optimistic by around 4 - 5 mpg compared to brim to brim calculations. The recent cold weather has certainly pushed the economy down :S

can anyone pls suggest what could be the possible cause for this and how it can be improved?

Yeah - try not sitting in traffic for most of your journey and your MPG will improve drastically! Cold weather + heavy traffic = tragic fuel consumption :giggle:

On a more constructive note, has your fuel economy deteriorated recently doing the same journey in the same traffic? Have you had your car properly serviced recently? It is very difficult to comment if you don't have some sort of basline to compare this to, but making sure your car is properly looked after (fresh oil, filter, air filter and plugs, brakes not sticking) would be a good start.