Adjusting Xenons on Fabia VRs for Europe

Hi All,

This might sound like a bit of a daft question, but I found a site the other day that indicated that the Octavia II's Headlights could be adjusted for continetal use. So I thought I would have a look at mine in my Fabia VRs, but it looks totally different and in fact I guess because they are Xenon there is a large "item" strapped to the back of the near side hear light which appears to feed the Offside H/L unit too. Therefore does anyone know if it is possible to "tweak" the setting or do I need to buy "beam benders". The other thing I did notice on each headlight unit was two adjustment screws for alignment, would this do the trick, if so how would I go about doing it and then returning it to a UK setting to get the car through an MOT??

Thanks

PXS

The adjustment screws will work if you have a light box and can set them up correctly and return them currectly, otherwise it is a garage job. You should not use beam benders on Xenons,

Having said that I have always used the benders myself and there is an imprint left on the lens after removal that is a pain to get off. (wether this is the reason they shouldn't be used ie they melt, or the scatter pattern is different :shrug:) I guess it is down to how much night driving you are planning on doing or if it is just a safeguard if you are stopped. Again having said that I have driven overnight with fabia xenons and benders and don't recall getting flashed :)

Hi All,

a large "item" strapped to the back of the near side hear light which appears to feed the Offside H/L unit too. Thanks

PXS

That would be the ballast for the N/S Headlight, The O/S ballast is under the front Xmember roughly in line with the A/C valve.

That should clear that up, Now as for converting the beam...............Pass, Never had to do it! Conceivably a piece of black insulating tape to block the kick up!

Someone should be along soon with a better answer!

I have xenons on my Fabia vRS and use black insulating tape to mask off the near side 'kick up' on both lights when touring in France. Just drive up to a wall and use your hand or a piece off card to block off the beam to judge where to stick the 3 or 4 pieces of tape on each lens cover. I also do this on my Lotus Elise s2 and never been flashed by 'blinded' drivers over there in either car.

only if you adjust the beam HEIGHT setting

True!

All due respect, But your post just confuses matters!

Better to leave it as....

"Do not try to adjust Xenon lamps in any plane unless you have access to VCDS or VAS"

For fear or royally fecking up your headlight's aim!

I've had a lamp adjuster 'Go' on mine, No better than a fog light, Illuminated (effectively) the 1.5m in front of the car!

Don't know if the Fabia xenons are the same, but in the OEM xenons on my Bora there was a "tourist" lever inside the headlamp which cut off the kicked up part of the RHD beam pattern and just gave a flat beam so that it would not blind oncoming vehicles when driving on the continent.

• 2 years later...

Don't know if the Fabia xenons are the same, but in the OEM xenons on my Bora there was a "tourist" lever inside the headlamp which cut off the kicked up part of the RHD beam pattern and just gave a flat beam so that it would not blind oncoming vehicles when driving on the continent.

Just bumping this to see if the fabia headlamp will have this lever, even on an aftermarket light? I'm going to a garage on Wednesday afternoon to do some last minute alterations. :D