Door handles

Hi, I`m on my third new Fabia 5 door estate. This `09 one has a design problem that I`m having to learn to live with. I wondered if it`s just me, or does anyone else agree. The single inside door pull is positioned too far forward and in close spaces or a wind, opening of the door is very hard to control. Which bright spark decided that the usual one further back wasn`t required any more?

Hi, I`m on my third new Fabia 5 door estate. This `09 one has a design problem that I`m having to learn to live with. I wondered if it`s just me, or does anyone else agree. The single inside door pull is positioned too far forward and in close spaces or a wind, opening of the door is very hard to control. Which bright spark decided that the usual one further back wasn`t required any more?

I dont think there worried about people opening doors, I think they assumed no idiot would have a problem with opening a door. Am sure health ans safety will hijack this thread and make sure that every new owner is given a instruction manual, on how to open the door correctly without resulting in death!

Sorry , my mistake. I thought that this was a serious forum.

Had this been my first Fabia, the door opening issue would not have arisen. As it`s my third, I have several years experience to compare it with and IT IS more difficult. Of that there is NO DOUBT.

Any SENSIBLE comment is welcome.

Read my post. I said` hard to control`.

As for picking faults, this is my fifth Skoda (two Octavia estates before the Fabia`s) and so I think I`m well placed to pass fair, honest and constructive comment. If I didn`t think they were brilliant - do you think I`d have bought five new ones.

Get real and stop the juvenile digs. If you have nothing of value to add to my question, then why post anything?

Well, after today I take back what I said.... imagine my utter horror when today I parked the car and opened the door wide... I lost complete control of it after a small cat walked past. The door actually came off its hinges and chased the cat all the way up the road, I could not catch it and the door caught and killed the cat. Im to appear in court for losing control of my door, gutted.

I dont think there worried about people opening doors, I think they assumed no idiot would have a problem with opening a door. Am sure health ans safety will hijack this thread and make sure that every new owner is given a instruction manual, on how to open the door correctly without resulting in death!

Actually my Felicia and my wifes Fabia Mk1 are alot easier to CLOSE than my new Fabia Mk2. Opening isn't a problem closing is, because the handle is nearer the hinges you need more effort to pull the door in. This also makes holding the door in it's half open position more difficult in the wind, ie to stop you hitting another parked car.

I still keep trying to close the door by going to the door opener rather than the door handle as that was the position in the Felicia. I expect it was moved so it did less harm to you if you were hit from the side. The handle would be infront of your body rather than by your arm.

David

Steady Guys... Mr Trucks is making a perfectly valid point that is his observation and a potential issue for him, we don't want anyone to be put off from making comments or raising points even if non of us has had this issue.

However, I know exactly what Mr Trucks means...but I have to say I haven't had a problem with it. It's probably because almost every other car I've owned has had it's internal door handle positioned in a similar manner. The reason behind this is (ironically!) ease of use not having to stretch to one side etc! I tend to elbow open the door rather than using the handle as a push, and if it's windy...I take hold of the back edge of the door as I exit. Years of practice I guess has made me not even think about it. Don't worry if you get the odd humourous or slightly acidic reply...it just adds to the flavour of the site. Everyone is friendly on here.

Mr Lemon, have you caught your door yet? You cannot be held responsible for the cats death in my honest opinion. Your door was out of your control...you are not to blame. :giggle::D

David, Thank goodness for your reply. With all the idiotic responses I received, I wished I`d never bothered asking. Your observations sum up EXACTLY what it was that I was trying to say. Many thanks.

Edited by Estate Man

I was hoping that my idiotic comment would have been taken in the context it was made, i.e. an idiotic and sarcastic one!

I didnt mean anything acidic by it, I just have a warped mind and if its really upset anyone then you have a big cyber cuddle coming down your adsl line to make up for it.

Not found the door yet, apparently its become something of a cat serial killer according to the locals.

Lemon, I thought your comments were hilarious...errr...I too have a very warped mind! Now...LET'S FIND THAT DOOR before anymore cats pay the price! But watch out, it's tough on the streets!!

I was hoping that my idiotic comment would have been taken in the context it was made, i.e. an idiotic and sarcastic one!

I didnt mean anything acidic by it, I just have a warped mind and if its really upset anyone then you have a big cyber cuddle coming down your adsl line to make up for it.

Not found the door yet, apparently its become something of a cat serial killer according to the locals.

David, Thank goodness for your reply. With all the idiotic responses I received, I wished I`d never bothered asking. Your observations sum up EXACTLY what it was that I was trying to say. Many thanks.

Just ignore the childish replies, I do.

David

Estateman, Im glad there are still some folk about with a goold old fashioned warped sense of humour, as opposed to the new 21st century PC one!

Found me door today, it was up the road sha**ing someones right leg...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after today I take back what I said.... imagine my utter horror when today I parked the car and opened the door wide... I lost complete control of it after a small cat walked past. The door actually came off its hinges and chased the cat all the way up the road, I could not catch it and the door caught and killed the cat. Im to appear in court for losing control of my door, gutted.

I recon your door should be put down and you shouldn't be allowed to keep doors for ten years! Serve you right, you should have kept it on a check strap!

(size="5"]Thanks for that. As I said at the beginning, I`m living with it (no choice) but I`m reminded of the shortcoming EVERY time I close the door.

Just to clear up a point. Contrary to the views of some, I HAVN`T has a humour bye- bass and enjoy a laugh as much as the next person. I simply made the basic mistake of thinking that this was a technical section of the forum, set aside for technical matters. Quite obviously I was wrong.[/size]

Edited by stuckontrucks

Thanks for that. As I said at the beginning, I`m living with it (no choice) but I`m reminded of the shortcoming EVERY time I close the door.

Just to clear up a point. Contrary to the views of some, I HAVN`T has a humour bye- bass and enjoy a laugh as much as the next person. I simply made the basic mistake of thinking that this was a technical section of the forum, set aside for technical matters. Quite obviously I was wrong.