Oops, have I wasted a bunch of expensive G12 coolant

Hi all

I bought all my bits on my trade card yesterday at Halfords for the full service on my wife's TDi 100 Audi A3. As part of the service I am changing the sticky thermostat and renewing the coolant.

I bought a 5L bottle of the RED coolant, which conforms to the VAG standard as it meets the same spec as the G12+ coolant. I've read a number of threads on here, all of which have said buy it and mix it 50/50. Last night, I grabbed anoether container and mixed up the coolant 50/50, so I now have 10 litres of coolant. I was just looking on the halfords site today, to check for the G12 stamp and pictures of the bottle on the website say "ready mixed". The bottle is at home, ready for coolant change at the weekend, so I can't double check what the actual bottle says, so if it is ready mixed, can I rescue it by buying some neat coolant and mixing it, or have I got to suck it up and buy some all over again?

Cheers folks

I bought the "Ready Mixed Top Up" coolant in 5 litres. With my Trade Card i've paid about £12 for it. So I now have a container that has 10 litres in, and it's 7.5L water and 2.5L collant (based on the ready mix being 50:50).

So, by my reckoning, I need to buy 5L of "Neat" coolant, and that'll give me 15L total, which is a mix of 7.5L Coolant, 7.5L water. That'll be 50:50. So, will it be OK to do this?

I'd prefer not to throw away the cash, but if I have to then I have to. :)

from the Halfords Website

We stock two versions: Halfords Advanced Antifreeze (which needs to be diluted with water 1:1 or 1:2) or Halfords Ready Mixed Top Up Antifreeze which can be used straight out of the pack.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

That does help. Do you know what ratio the 5L "Ready Mix" is mixed to from the factory? I presume it's 50:50