Octavia mk2 Tuning

Thanks all for your help and info regarding dump valves, blow of valves and which to fit etc... Will also be speaking to ben at shark for re-map bhp gains and prices.

Induction kits, will i need a full kit or should I be able just to fit a cone (any info which type would be good) also will this damage anything or give the engine an incorrect reading of how much air the engine is taking in. Any help would be great, trying to learn a bit as I go along. Thanks again.

Your 2 main options are to fit just a performance panel filter in place of your standard filter, or to fit a full induction kit such as a EVOMS as one popular example.

Pros and cons to each - more power and sound from an induction kit, but you'll need to service the filter every year, you'll need to ditch the engine cover as it won't fit anymore (unless you buy a modified cover) etc. An induction kit would set you up for further power mods though.

Panel filter retains the OEM look of the engine bay, but doesn't realistically give you much if any gain, or indeed sound - I had a 'Green' filter on mine and didn't notice any difference :)

There's a in-between option which changes the air scoop at the front for a perfomance item - search for 'Carbonio' - but they're quit expensive and more for show really as it's generally accepted they don't actually do a lot.

There's a load of info here on Briskoda so it would pay you to do some searching as we've all been through these questions as some point. Remember your car is virtually identical to the Mk5 Golf GTI and there is a massive resource for that on the net.

Be prepared though, modding is a horrible slippery slope to financial ruin!

Should probably also mention that a panel filter will set you back around £30, an induction kit from £150 to £300 ish depending on which you go for.

Thanks, just want a little more throttle responce, and know filters etc is the way to go. Any panel filters better than others. Didnt want to fit sum rubbish to it, i take it octys have an air flow mass meter fitted sumwhere then, you have to remove this when induction kit fitted??? :thumbup:

No, I don't think the ECU would be too happy if the air flow mass meter was removed!

You will get a replacement hole to stick and fasten the air flow mass meter into as part of the pipe which comes with the induction kit.

Here's the one I've got fitted - the mass air filter is at the top of the engine bay.

http://www.dubaddiction.com.au/images/bshfsitrueseal.jpg

No, I don't think the ECU would be too happy if the air flow mass meter was removed!

You will get a replacement hole to stick and fasten the air flow mass meter into as part of the pipe which comes with the induction kit.

Here's the one I've got fitted - the mass air filter is at the top of the engine bay.

http://www.dubaddiction.com.au/images/bshfsitrueseal.jpg

If i was to buy a kit for mine, would it fit exactly where yours does, the space in front of battery, or have you/would i have to buy extra ducting and modify a little, also where did you get the plastic surround the cone sits in, nice and tidy isnt it.

If i was to buy a kit for mine, would it fit exactly where yours does, the space in front of battery, or have you/would i have to buy extra ducting and modify a little, also where did you get the plastic surround the cone sits in, nice and tidy isnt it.

here are what id reccomend as the top air intakes available for the TFSI

ITG(see my thread on it)http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/new-intake-tfsi-vrs-itg-lots-pics/160314/

SDC10273.jpg

evoms(JKM Performance....TFSI Intake Systems)

evopic2-small.jpg

VF engineering(JKM Performance....TFSI Intake Systems)

vfsmallatjkm.jpg

BSH intake(VW Golf Mk5 GTI BSH Tru-Seal Air Intake Induction Kit - �199.00 : dUBtEK, VW Performance Parts[/url])

Full%20Intake%201TN.jpg

HKS intake (http://dubtek.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=237)

6f8c5670587cf26b5d7e970da8f6694e.image.180x130.jpg

my order of preference if i was looking into these would be

ITG

Forge Twintake(when they eventually make it to fit the octavia engine bay)

evoms

VF engineering

HKS(apparently this is uber loud)

BSH

all after market air intakes still maintain the oem MAF sensor.

Im on my third intake now, started on a carbonio and panel filter and noticed the grandtotal of ........not much, he car revved easier and that wa about it, i then went onto a code red air intake, which showed good gains over the carbonio, then i went to the ITG which gave me even more ontop of that.

when it comes to remapping there are an absolute minefield of options. Id say nearly all of them will make your car feel a million times faster. you would love them all. its only when you start comparing with other maps that you will see the differences in tuners. i found this when i swapped from bluefin to shark performance. bens sharkperformance stage 2 had absolutely no issue keeping with my bluefin stage 2+.

I say go VAg specific as they will have more experience mapping your engine. Also consider what you have planned for your carin the future modification wise. ie how much will a tuner charge to upgrade from stage 1 to stage 2 etc, most tuners it is about £50. Do you want to be able to switch to standard etc etc

As well as that my opinion is dont buy anything that you cant find alot of positive reviews for. If your are definately into tuning your TFSI, as well as this forum also have a trawl through the mk5golfgti.co.uk forum, 95% of the cars are TFSI on there and some of the cars are running some seroius power.(bit of a REVO fan club on there though lol.

remap wise

-stage 1 tune

-can bolt on to a std car, no additional mods required

-between 225-240hp/250Ibft-280Ibft possible

-stage 2 tune

-requires at least a down pipe and sports cat(£400-500),

-ideally

full Tubo back exhaust(£800-1100),

to get the most an intake would be required but not essential ((£250-350)

-245-260hp/250Ibft-300Ibft possible

stage 2+

-requires all the above

-uprated fuel pump(internals £300, full pump £700)

-uprated intercooler not essential but highly reccomended

-270-280hp/300ibft-330Ibft possible

Edited by vRSy

when it comes to remapping there are an absolute minefield of options. Id say nearly all of them will make your car feel a million times faster. you would love them all. its only when you start comparing with other maps that you will see the differences in tuners. i found this when i swapped from bluefin to shark performance. bens sharkperformance stage 2 had absolutely no issue keeping with my bluefin stage 2+.

I say go VAg specific as they will have more experience mapping your engine.

As well as that my opinion is dont buy anything that you cant find alot of positive reviews for. If your are definately into tuning your TFSI, as well as this forum also have a trawl through the mk5golfgti.co.uk forum, 95% of the cars are TFSI on there and some of the cars are running some seroius power.(bit of a REVO fan club on there though lol.

Thanks for all your info everyone. Most excellent and helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: