Spot an Octy 2

I don't know how well the new Octavia is selling in general, but this morning I spotted a new Octy for what is only the second time on the road as apposed to sitting in a showroom. It was a silver TDi with roof bars fitted. Still not sure about the looks. The inside with one exception is a big improvement but although the car is bigger it some how looks smaller when you see it on the road.

My impression is that following the luke warm reception of the new golf, Skoda didn't flood the market in anticipation of loads of orders early on. Therefore almost every order has been a factory build and 8-12 week delivery. That means that as of last week, the ones ordered in the first week should be delivered and we should now start to see more of them on the road.

I saw a transporter full of them this morning on the M18 so that thepry holds true. One of them was even Black but it turned off onto the A1 instead of heading for Sheffield so it wasn't mine :(

Good point. The first one I seen on the road was actually before they were officially on sale and could have been owned by one of the dealers. Is skoda really that slow for a standard spec car? The delivery time for the new Micra we ordered on Friday for the wife is only 2.5 weeks. Only ever bought pre-reg or used Skodas so have no experience ordering a brand new car that is not in dealer stock.

I am sure it will grow on me. I am quite conservative and often think that new versions of cars don't look as nice as the old, untill I get used to seeing them, and the older ones then look out dated :). Still I have always (from long before I owned an Octavia) thought that the Octavia was one of the classiest (despite being a budget make) looking cars on the road. It does not surprise me in the slightest that people who are not car bores often initially mistake my Octys as being BMWs and the like. I am just not sure that the new Octy has the same quality. I think the old is classy looking becuase it is simple and Germanic looking, and I think the fussier detailing on the bonnet etc takes away from the classyness, just as the current BMWS look in my opinion far less classy than the older marks.

I have not seen any on the road. Sat in one in the local Skoda dealer. Liked the inside, except fot the shape of the roof. I am 6 foot 4 and I found the lowere section in the middle of the roof to be very claustrophobic.

Only seen one in Warrington, the same one three times, demonstrator from local dealership which I test drove. 2.0Tdi.

Now if Skoda had stuck to my original build and delivery date I should of been receiving mine this week, as it is it in theory is being built this week and I should have it in 4/5 weeks. So in time for Chrimbo.

• 1 month later...

I agree. The Octy 2 appears to be a rare sight on UK roads, despite the fact that they were launched over 3 months ago.

This evening on the M5 north of Cheltenham I saw an Octy 2 TDi (couldn't tell if 1.9 or 2.0 as it was dark!) gunning down the outlan lan at 90+. The C-shaped rear lights are VERY large and good from a safety point of view. I also like the second set of indicators built into the door mirrors.

My Octy 2, a 1.9Tdi Ambiente was ordered in October and is scheduled for delivery in Mid-end January 2005.

I agree. The Octy 2 appears to be a rare sight on UK roads' date=' despite the fact that they were launched over 3 months ago.

[/quote']

Picked my Octy 2.0TDI Elegance up today after ordering back on 6th September, so they are coming through but slowly.

A few here in Stirling - all white and taxis! Mind you, more than 50% (probably nearer 75% - nice little earner for Newmarket Garage) of the taxis in Stirling are Octys. There's at least one Superb taxi - I've been in it and was highly impressed by the space.

I've seen 5 or 6 around Manchester airport ...
When Fabia's turbo died the other day I took advantage of its AA Relay Plus cover to get a free hire car for 48 hrs. I only got a Seat Ibiza (which I didn't like as much as mechanically similar Furbys).

The nearest hire car compound was in the local airport and I noticed they also had Octy2s as hire cars. Not sure which model (it was dark) but the one I looked at was a TDI (it might have been TDI).

I guess this might mean some "nearly new" Octy2s coming onto the market in a few months when they get to the end of their hire car life.