Rear Brakes

fatuscatus

Thinking about getting a Roomster 1.9tdi. Brochure seems to indicate that only the petrol 1.6 tiptronic comes with rear discs. Reading through some of the old threads on here, it is apparent that this was not always the case. Anyone know when/why most models are now fitted with rear drum brakes?

Edited by DGW
Non-Freedom advertising deleted.

I stand corrected, having looked at the brochure on-line. 1.9s are rear discs, certainly.

John

That's not what the latest brochure implies. The latest brochure from Skoda.co.uk lists under standard equipment for models S, SE, or Scout: "Rear disc brakes" with a small cross. The small cross at the end of the list states "1.6 16v Tiptronic only".

On pages 14 and 15 under Engine Specifications, it states: "Rear brakes Drum brakes with two self-adjusting brake shoes, or disc brakes (depending on engine type)."

So I go back to my original question, when and why did they change some models to rear drums? Or, judging by the reponses above, is the brochure not correct?

Edited by fatuscatus

That's not what the latest brochure implies. The latest brochure from Skoda.co.uk lists under standard equipment for models S, SE, or Scout: "Rear disc brakes" with a small cross. The small cross at the end of the list states "1.6 16v Tiptronic only".

On pages 14 and 15 under Engine Specifications, it states: "Rear brakes Drum brakes with two self-adjusting brake shoes, or disc brakes (depending on engine type)."

So I go back to my original question, when and why did they change some models to rear drums? Or, judging by the reponses above, is the brochure not correct?

I doubt if anyone can give a definitive answer, not even Skoda UK.

Manufacturers make so many different variations for different markets. Compound that with the delays and potential for errors in producing brochures, and the 'non-obvious' nature of brake types, compared with, for example, panoramic roofs, and certainty is probably impossible.

FWIW my September 07 1.9tdi has rear discs.

Stuart

Thinking about getting a Roomster 1.9tdi. Brochure seems to indicate that only the petrol 1.6 tiptronic comes with rear discs. Reading through some of the old threads on here, it is apparent that this was not always the case. Anyone know when/why most models are now fitted with rear drum brakes?

Just got a new 1.9tdi SE. Rear drums are standard on all models, except Scout. If you pay for the factory fitted extra, ESP, incl ABS+MBA+MSR+ASR+EDL+HBA,@ £340, :'( you get disc brakes on the rear.

I will leave to someone else to explain the abbreviations!! (though it is all detailed in the brouchure)