tyre choice

i have 17" pegasus fitted to my octy2 elegance 1.9tdi

originally it was fitted from factory with bridgestone tyres in 225/45 size

i am looking to renew tyres and feel that the 45 profile is too low for my needs( the car is a taxi)

is it possible to fit 205/50 to these rims without affecting the rolling resistance or would this put more onto the radius

would i benefit in the case of a scrub with a kerb in having the slightly higher profile

thanks guys and gals

also what brand do you recommend for longevity and wear??????

For longevity always Michelin. Managed 30k on both works car and Octy.

What pressures are you running?

I have the same tyre and wheel combo on my 2.0tdi, I do between 5000 and 6000kms a month. I am currently on Hankook Evo V12's and they seem to be lasting just fine, I should get 35000kms from the fronts. Michelins will probably last a bit longer but will cost substantially more. I use Camskill and they deliver the tyres to Ireland for a lot cheaper than you can get them here.

I have the same tyre and wheel combo on my 2.0tdi, I do between 5000 and 6000kms a month. I am currently on Hankook Evo V12's and they seem to be lasting just fine, I should get 35000kms from the fronts. Michelins will probably last a bit longer but will cost substantially more. I use Camskill and they deliver the tyres to Ireland for a lot cheaper than you can get them here.

Hi K.Young,

I'm in Dublin and will been needing new tyres soon - I had a look at Camskill and they do a good deal - My worry is could there be a prob getting the tyres fitted in Dublin (Tyre dealers might be a bit miffed that I brought in rather that bought off them) - Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Jacko

Hi K.Young,

I'm in Dublin and will been needing new tyres soon - I had a look at Camskill and they do a good deal - My worry is could there be a prob getting the tyres fitted in Dublin (Tyre dealers might be a bit miffed that I brought in rather that bought off them) - Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Jacko

Jacko, the larger chains like Advance won't touch your tyres but smaller independent tyre shops should do. Check around first before you order your tyres. You can expect to pay 15 - 20euros per tyre to be fitted and balanced so make sure you factor this in. If you are VAT registered make sure you take the ex-VAT price option, this will save you 17.5%. Taking all of this into account, if there is not much in the difference, see if the local dealer will match the price. Sterling is also getting stronger against the Euro and will continue that way for a while, so move quickly !!

Jacko, the larger chains like Advance won't touch your tyres but smaller independent tyre shops should do. Check around first before you order your tyres. You can expect to pay 15 - 20euros per tyre to be fitted and balanced so make sure you factor this in. If you are VAT registered make sure you take the ex-VAT price option, this will save you 17.5%. Taking all of this into account, if there is not much in the difference, see if the local dealer will match the price. Sterling is also getting stronger against the Euro and will continue that way for a while, so move quickly !!

Thanks K.YOUNG,

Very sound advice!

Regards,

Jacko

Hi K.Young,

Thanks,

Jacko

Try www.discounttyres.ie, usually charge are €20 per tyres, includes balancing, new valves and disposal of old ones.

Any issues ask for keith, he is on www.vagdrivers.ie and has fitted tyres for lots of members.

If thats too far out of the way then look on www.eiretyres.com and look at list of installers, http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/stationssuche.pl?dsco=124, ring and see what there charges are.

Edited by GAFF

• 1 month later...