Another week another problem

The indicators on my Octy have gone bonkers. Some times they flash at a normal rate but most of the time they flash really fast as though a bulb has blown but this is occurring on both sides. Then they flash normal and then really fast again....

If I put the hazards on they flash normal. Has this happened to anyone before? Does it sound like a new indicator relay is required??

Cheers Briskodians

The indicators on my Octy have gone bonkers. Some times they flash at a normal rate but most of the time they flash really fast as though a bulb has blown but this is occurring on both sides. Then they flash normal and then really fast again....

If I put the hazards on they flash normal. Has this happened to anyone before? Does it sound like a new indicator relay is required??

Cheers Briskodians

On the face of it, the advice I'm about to offer may seem completely unrelated, however...

Last week I had mega dramas with the central locking on my 03 Octy Est (see my thread on the subject); frankly it was possessed, so while I sought info on how to sort it I took the fuse out (fuse number 38) to stop the damn thing constantly locking itself.

On the face of it, aside from disabling the central locking, removing fuse 38 also only seemed to render the fuel flap release inop (to be expected, as they are both on the same fuse). However, when I went to drive the car the next day, the indicators behaved exactly as you describe, even down to the hazards otherwise working normally. All bulbs were working, but simply flashing at the (fast) speed normally associated with a failed bulb.

After contemplating that the car needed the services of an exorcist, I quickly remembered that all I had done prior to this was to remove fuse 38. Replacement of the fuse restored normal operation of the indicators. Therefore, it would be worth checking (or evening renewing) fuse 38 before going any further (intermittent faulty fuse or dirty/corroded connection on fuse terminal perhaps?).

Although the schematic diagram I have doesn't reflect it, from my own experience there clearly appears to be a (tenuous) connection between the indicators and the central locking fuse. As such, the question I would ask is whether your central locking is behaving itself. As an alternative line of thinking, with the indicator fault present, does the central locking actually work at all? (try locking / unlocking the doors from the button on the driver's door window control panel). Does the fuel flap release work? If the central locking and fuel flap release become inop , that could confirm the faulty fuse theory.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Lampman

Cheers Briskodians

Going back to basics, is the problem only with left or right indicators or is it with both? If it only happens with either left or right but not both it could simply be a dodgy bulb or bulb holder. If it's both sides the hazard lamp switch is the most likely culprit as already mentioned above but I've come across a couple of Octavias with dodgy indicator switches too.

All good stuff, and in line with my thoughts on the matter (well other than fuse 38, but that's a 5 min DIY job if you know the fusebox is in the RH end of the dash).

[quickly on to the point] The central locking to indicators connection would seem to be that the CLS uses indicator flashes to signal locked/unlocked status.