SE and HID lights

jezzep

Hi All,

I have a question on the skoda uk web site all yeti's come with projector HID lights. However

all the photo's I have seen that are not elegance show normal conventional lights?

Can anyone clear this up for me. I should get my car next week but I would like to know this and

won't be that happy if the spec is not correct....

Many thanks

Jerry

Hi All,

I have a question on the skoda uk web site all yeti's come with projector HID lights. However

all the photo's I have seen that are not elegance show normal conventional lights?

Can anyone clear this up for me. I should get my car next week but I would like to know this and

won't be that happy if the spec is not correct....

Many thanks

Jerry

The SE comes with conventional H4 bulbs in, as far as I can see, fairly conventional headlights the "Halogen projector headlights with DE-module" is, in my opinion, marketspeak. Having said that, the headlamps are good but could be improved with high output bulbs, Osram or Philips for example.

The SE comes with conventional H4 bulbs in, as far as I can see, fairly conventional headlights the "Halogen projector headlights with DE-module" is, in my opinion, marketspeak. Having said that, the headlamps are good but could be improved with high output bulbs, Osram or Philips for example.

Yeah I thought as much the brochure's and on line stuff is wrong projector headlights look like the ones I saw on the Elegance i.e. I assume a lense in front of the bulb and what I have on my Octavia and the SE and others do not have these hmmmmm.

Is is just me or is the brochure for the Yeti is crap...

All the best

Jerry

Yeah I thought as much the brochure's and on line stuff is wrong projector headlights look like the ones I saw on the Elegance i.e. I assume a lense in front of the bulb and what I have on my Octavia and the SE and others do not have these hmmmmm.

All the best

Jerry

No. Its not you! The brochure covers the facts with marketing hyperbolae (example What is a DE module?) and as other posts will verify some wierd figures relating the mpg etc. Personally I am happy with the headlight performance and I find the fogs act as fill in lights when used on our narrow back roads. (OK So I know its not legal)

All the best

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

as you say the DE module lights are of the type fitted to the Octavia II; not the standard halogen projectors the Monster has on all but the Elegance. Did e-mail SUK about this but they insist they are DE. :S

Often use the German website for info myself, even with Google translate it makes more sense.

Really do think it's time Skoda looked for a new importer with knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff who understand the features fitted to their cars. Not the 'can't be bothered' brigade down at Milton Keynes. The accuracy of the Sales Brochure and the use of old LHD initial marketing photos on their third edition say it all :(

Regards,

TP

Hi Jerry,

as you say the DE module lights are of the type fitted to the Octavia II; not the standard halogen projectors the Monster has on all but the Elegance. Did e-mail SUK about this but they insist they are DE. :S

Often use the German website for info myself, even with Google translate it makes more sense.

Really do think it's time Skoda looked for a new importer with knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff who understand the features fitted to their cars. Not the 'can't be bothered' brigade down at Milton Keynes. The accuracy of the Sales Brochure and the use of old LHD initial marketing photos on their third edition say it all :(

Regards,

TP

Are you saying that the Yeti E-SE with halogen lights does not have a DE module? What is DE in that case?

Non HID lights use Surface Complex reflectors and not projectors. It is a disgrace the Skoda UK can get away with such distorted marketing hype. Since first I started to look at the Yeti, I have been struck with the confusing, inaccurate, poor and shoddy quality of the information brochures. I do not understand why they have not been brought to task by Trading Standards.

The Plumber, could you please give the www address of the German Yeti forum. I like using German Forums because of their decorum and high standards.

Edit changed multi to surface

Edited by Anthony 1

Non HID lights use Multi Complex reflectors and not projectors. It is a disgrace the Skoda UK can get away with such distorted marketing hype. Since first I started to look at the Yeti, I have been struck with the confusing, inaccurate, poor and shoddy quality of the information brochures. I do not understand why they have not been brought to task by Trading Standards.

The Plumber, could you please give the www address of the German Yeti forum. I like using German Forums because of their decorum and high standards.

Oh dear at least the dealers are good. Your right though when the enthusiasts know more about a car than the importer something is wrong....I couldn't get away

with this in my business....

all the best

Jerry

Considering where you live, had you not thought of specifying HID lights.?

Considering where you live, had you not thought of specifying HID lights.?

Err no because I thought I was getting the same as what I had in my Octavia!!!! it's OK I'll fix this myself and swap bulbs

if they are no good...

Jerry

Non HID lights use Surface Complex reflectors and not projectors. It is a disgrace the Skoda UK can get away with such distorted marketing hype. Since first I started to look at the Yeti, I have been struck with the confusing, inaccurate, poor and shoddy quality of the information brochures. I do not understand why they have not been brought to task by Trading Standards.

Edit changed multi to surface

Hi Anthony,

Skoda Deutschland My link

SkodaCommunity.de My link

Also try the French form My link

Regards,

TP

I agree that the Yeti brochure is pretty poor, especially given that Volkswagen and Audi brochures are incredibly detailed. This is the only new car that I have ordered for which I have been unable to find out everything that I wanted to know from the internet and the brochure. Hooray for Briskodaemoticon-0105-wink.gif

One thing that really annoys me about model brochures, and I do include VW in this, is that virtually all of the photos are of the top spec car. Just one picture of each of the other models is all it would take but no. It is af if they are ashamed of the entry level models. Similarly, it would not have taken much effort to include a few photos of Yetis in colours other than Aqua Blue and Corrida Red. Still, the car is great and so I suppose that will be all that matters when I eventually take delivery.....

What annoys me with brochures nowadays is that they don't put in a nice chart showing what equipment each model has.

They just list the quipment on the base model, then the next spec up lists what it has over base and so on. So you need to read the spec of every model to work out whta the higher spec ones have.

Years ago they always seemed to have a chart with all the models and then blobs to show what was standard and what was an option so it was easy to compare the models.

What annoys me with brochures nowadays is that they don't put in a nice chart showing what equipment each model has.

They just list the quipment on the base model, then the next spec up lists what it has over base and so on. So you need to read the spec of every model to work out whta the higher spec ones have.

Years ago they always seemed to have a chart with all the models and then blobs to show what was standard and what was an option so it was easy to compare the models.

The Yeti brochure for Italy has such a chart and its very clear. However there are (or were) a few printing errors and the photos are pretty selective, as you'd expect.

I agree that the Yeti brochure is pretty poor, especially given that Volkswagen and Audi brochures are incredibly detailed. This is the only new car that I have ordered for which I have been unable to find out everything that I wanted to know from the internet and the brochure. Hooray for Briskodaemoticon-0105-wink.gif

One thing that really annoys me about model brochures, and I do include VW in this, is that virtually all of the photos are of the top spec car. Just one picture of each of the other models is all it would take but no. It is af if they are ashamed of the entry level models. Similarly, it would not have taken much effort to include a few photos of Yetis in colours other than Aqua Blue and Corrida Red. Still, the car is great and so I suppose that will be all that matters when I eventually take delivery.....

I absolutely agree wholeheartedly with what your saying. I just want to read about the car that I am buying not the other 5 that might precede it in order to understand what I am interested in. the BMW brochures are very clear, Spartan also, just a little Bavarian.

With regards to the lights, I am looking to move from a Volvo to possibly a Yeti/Superb/Octavia/Seat Exeo (choices, choices). One of the reasons for moving is that the lights on a Volvo S40 are dangerously weak & I do not want to go through another winter with this car (before anyone mentions it there is no point changing the bulbs, I tried it, as the Volvo runs DRL's and they burn up the bright lights for fun) I do not then want to go to a Yeti that also has poor dipped lights. Is this an issue or is this thread more about the aesthetics of the headlights?

With regards to the lights, I am looking to move from a Volvo to possibly a Yeti/Superb/Octavia/Seat Exeo (choices, choices). One of the reasons for moving is that the lights on a Volvo S40 are dangerously weak & I do not want to go through another winter with this car (before anyone mentions it there is no point changing the bulbs, I tried it, as the Volvo runs DRL's and they burn up the bright lights for fun) I do not then want to go to a Yeti that also has poor dipped lights. Is this an issue or is this thread more about the aesthetics of the headlights?

Yeti DRL's are separate bulbs from the headligts, so no problem there.

Xenons are great!

I think that mostly I have heard that the Yeti lights are quite good but a magnitude better if one chooses HID with the cornering lights package. I can not say about the rest of the Skoda range.

It is a coincidence perhaps that your Volvo lights are poor, a company that was once part of the Ford Empire as are the lights on the Jaguar X Type another Ford clone. Where the lights of your Volvo HID or Halogen out of interest? The Jaguar X-Type lights were far better if they had OEM HID lighting, that is when they work at any rate.

The issue is not with the light quality but with the manufacturers description, which is inaccurate. They describe the cheaper Halogen lights as being of the projector lens type which they are not, they use Complex Surface technology. Still adequate for the job but projector lenses are more efficient and control the light beam far better, so their is less stray light and what light their is goes to where it is wanted. The HID lights are all of the Projector type most cars these days use Projector Lenses with HID and some use it with Halogen also.

My advice to you is always buy a car with OEM HID lighting. That is what I shall be doing. Having sat behind an OEM HID set up for a while, I never want to use anything else until they can be improved upon. Legally that is!

Edited by Anthony 1

Anthony 1 - The Volvo lights are Halogen, they don't offer HID's. The Volvo upgrade are Bi-Xenons. I think you are right about the light housing being at fault. I changed my bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers and although they were much brighter the spread of light on the road was still really poor. Many on the Volvo forum are installing their own HID's despite the dubious nature of after market legality purely because they do not feel safe with the current lights. Changing the bulbs does not help, it is the whole unit at fault.

Anthony 1 - The Volvo lights are Halogen, they don't offer HID's. The Volvo upgrade are Bi-Xenons. I think you are right about the light housing being at fault. I changed my bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers and although they were much brighter the spread of light on the road was still really poor. Many on the Volvo forum are installing their own HID's despite the dubious nature of after market legality purely because they do not feel safe with the current lights. Changing the bulbs does not help, it is the whole unit at fault.

Sorry i am just confirming that you have the technology.

HID, Xenon, Bi Xenon, High Intensity Discharge are all the same not to be confused with some after-market Halogen bulbs that claim to use xenon gases to increase the temperature that the filament can run at.. Bi xenon is a particular technique used to allow just one HID Xenon bulb to produce two functions main and dip. The bulb is covered by a movable shield that alternates its position to allow main and dipped beams. The shield is machined and placed to exact tolerances to allow a well defined cut off. The advantages of this are , that for flashing or putting main beam on do not require a separate bulb being ignited and removes the necessity of an additional lamp for main beam. the flash may may be immediate, Their is no time delay in striking the ark. It could be argued by the greens that Bi Xenon use less fuel because only one set of lamps is on at all times, this is because under law the dipped beam bulb must remain on in Normal 4 Lamp Xenon light systems. Some manufacturers still have additional lamps as seen in those vehicles with four headlamp systems such as many BMW's etc. The disadvantages of Bi Xenon lamps when used on their own are that he projector is not dedicated to just one beam so their may be compromises in design and ligh quality. The moveable shield is a complex fine tolerance structure that increases expense and is an other thing that can go wrong.

Well I have learnt something new today. What I do know is that the Volvo lights are rubbish and, lovely though the car is otherwise, I will not touch one again until they resolve the issue. I just wanted to make sure that I did not leap into another problem car with the Yeti. From the sound of it the Yeti lights are fine. I have a colleague at work who has an Octavia and he has not had a problem with his so I suspect that Skoda as a whole has the lights issue under control.

Well I have learnt something new today. What I do know is that the Volvo lights are rubbish and, lovely though the car is otherwise, I will not touch one again until they resolve the issue. I just wanted to make sure that I did not leap into another problem car with the Yeti. From the sound of it the Yeti lights are fine. I have a colleague at work who has an Octavia and he has not had a problem with his so I suspect that Skoda as a whole has the lights issue under control.

If you love the Volvo, then their is no need to change manufacturer, just buy one with OEM HID Xenon lights. What do people say on the Volvo forums. Ask them what the original equipment HID Xenon lights are like. I feel that it is high time manufacturers stopped playing around with halogen and fitted all cars with HID. If every car had them, costs would come down, less storage of individual choices, better safety image better fuel consumption because less wattage and so on.

Fair point but I don't love them that much. I am changing as I also want a hatchback, the S40 is a saloon, and the servicing costs are so exorbitant that I have used an independent for servicing rather than the dealer even though the car is only 2 years old.

I do also resent having to pay extra for an item, lights in this case, that should be decent in the first place. Cars should not be like Ryannair where you end up having to pay extra for basics. Good lights are a basic part of a car, as are brakes, tyres, etc. I expect to pay more for luxury items such as Satnav, leather, heated seats and so on but good, strong, safe lights should be a minimum. The nearest I can describe these lights as being like are if you were to drive down unlit country lanes with only your sidelights on. That is what the Volvo lights are like. They may be different on C30's or V70's but the S40 and V50's are woeful. Quite bizarrely the full beam is fantastic, the best I have ever had. Work that one out.