Variable Loading floor

swanclock

I have just taken delivery of a Roomster 1.9 TDI SE. Very pleased but I would have liked the variable loading floor option to be available in the UK.

The Octavia estate I had previously has this as standard and was very useful for things like Jump Leads, torches etc

I believe the variable loading floor stands at the same height as the boot sill, which would simplify the unloading of heavy items and allow a full-size spare wheel to be specified instead of a space-saver. If the variable loading floor does not become available by summer (or if it does and it costs an arm and a leg), I plan to make a simplified version of it myself.

I believe the variable loading floor stands at the same height as the boot sill, which would simplify the unloading of heavy items and allow a full-size spare wheel to be specified instead of a space-saver. If the variable loading floor does not become available by summer (or if it does and it costs an arm and a leg), I plan to make a simplified version of it myself.

I have thought about making one as well as it just appears to be a simple frame with a 2 part lid that hinges in the middle.

the only problem I see is making it so that it will come out easily if you need to access the spare.

My plan would be to make it about 100-150 mm high

I believe the variable loading floor stands at the same height as the boot sill, which would simplify the unloading of heavy items and allow a full-size spare wheel to be specified instead of a space-saver.

My SE has a full size steel spare and the top of it is flush with the steel floorpan

My Roomster Scout runs 205/40/17 as standard (albeit not the Original 17" Scout alloys in the picture below but the same size). Has a full size (205/45/16) Steel spare which as swanlock states sits flush with the top of the floorplan and does not have variable loading floor. Interesting.

IMGP0001.jpg

IMGP1543.jpg

Edited by Jonny5ive

My Roomster Scout runs 205/40/17 as standard (albeit not the Original 17" Scout alloys in the picture below but the same size). Has a full size (205/45/16) Steel spare which as swanlock states sits flush with the top of the floorplan and does not have variable loading floor. Interesting.

IMGP0001.jpg

Ditto

http://gallery.eggwan.com/main.php?g2_itemId=23601&g2

http://gallery.eggwan.com/main.php?g2_itemId=24029&g2

SE wheels are 195/55 R15 85H Scout wheels are 205/45 R16 87W (according to the brochure)

Update - my Scout was new Sep 09 and came with 205/45 R16.

Although the brochure listed a full size spare wheel as an alternative to the goo can, the dealer told me this was incorrect.

The spare wheel supplied with my Scout was 195/55 R15 and the tyre sits approx. 1/2 inch below the level of the floor.

The polystyrene insert (which holds the jack and tools) sits approx 1/2 inch higher than the level of the tyre and is flush with the floor.

It seems Skoda may have rationalised the spare wheel option at the time it introduced the goo can.

Update - my Scout was new Sep 09 and came with 205/45 R16.

Although the brochure listed a full size spare wheel as an alternative to the goo can, the dealer told me this was incorrect.

The spare wheel supplied with my Scout was 195/55 R15 and the tyre sits approx. 1/2 inch below the level of the floor.

The polystyrene insert (which holds the jack and tools) sits approx 1/2 inch higher than the level of the tyre and is flush with the floor.

It seems Skoda may have rationalised the spare wheel option at the time it introduced the goo can.

Similarly on SWMBO's Mazda 2, it isn't a skinny spacesaver, but the wheel and tyre are narrower than the road wheels, and it has a 50mph speed restriction. I haven't checked mine except to make sure I've got one, but it looks as though in these days of wide wheels, a spare the same size as the road wheels just can't fir.

• 2 weeks later...

I have thought about making one as well as it just appears to be a simple frame with a 2 part lid that hinges in the middle.

the only problem I see is making it so that it will come out easily if you need to access the spare.

My plan would be to make it about 100-150 mm high

[/quote

I finished the floor made from 12mm MDF with a 2 part lid size is 950mm wide by 750mm long and 140mm high painted matt black and looks great.

The lid can be lifted off complete with hinges, and the base simply lifts out should one need access to the spare wheel

[/quote

I finished the floor made from 12mm MDF with a 2 part lid size is 950mm wide by 750mm long and 140mm high painted matt black and looks great.

The lid can be lifted off complete with hinges, and the base simply lifts out should one need access to the spare wheel

so does it fit on an existing shelf/edge, or does it have sides down to the floor to keep it at the right height?

[/quote

so does it fit on an existing shelf/edge, or does it have sides down to the floor to keep it at the right height?

The base is a square box 140 high, with cutouts for hand holds so that it can be easily removed. and the lid is hinged in 2 places so that it can be lifted up or folded in a V so that you can easily place item in it.

the rear of the lid where the rear hinges are slips into 2 slots so that it can be lifted out seperately.

• 2 weeks later...

IMGP0001.jpg

IMGP1543.jpg

I have to say I think those wheels look A W F U L . Totally out of place.

I wait to stand corrected.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with others - going to make meself something out of flooring quality MDF. Should be easy enough with an electric jigsaw and a modicum of brain power.