Petrol or diesel company car?

Can anyone with a 1.8 petrol or 1.4 petrol Octavia tell me what their average mpg is over, say, a month or preferably longer?

I'm considering going from a 2.0 diesel Octavia to a petrol one because its a company car and its cheaper to buy - therefore less benefit in kind and less tax. I had considered a 1.4DSG rather than a 1.8DSG because the 1.4 is a whole £3000 cheaper than the equivalent 2.0 diesel. On the other hand, my petrol mileage is 2p/mile less for a car with an engine below 1500cc (oddly). But its also cheaper to tax and insure which I assume would make a difference to the lease amount.

I'd like the 1.8 really but I worry that it will use a helluva lot more juice in normal driving conditions. Now I'm getting old I find that I still occasionally drive with my pants on fire on A and B roads (can't be bothered on M'ways) but I sort of like the idea of driving fast in a slow car more than driving fast in a fast car which anyone can do, if you see what I mean.

Its a dilemma; there are very few people on this forum with either 1.8s or 1.4s. Most seem to have either VRSs or diesels of one sort or another. I can't help thinking that a modern small capacity turbo petrol engine is the new "diesel". That's why I'm watching Autocar, which has put a 1.4DSG Octavia on its long-term fleet, with interest.

Will I miss the torque of the PD? Or will I adapt to driving a petrol car again?

Hmmm

I've just made the switch from 2.0tdi L&K mkii to 1.8tsi L&K dsg fl. Still on the first tank of petrol (just) so it's a bit early to measure the mpg.

So far loving the performance even though I'm taking it steady. DSG box is a revelation.

Can't comment on the mpg, but if you are making assumptions about what will affect the lease price, also consider that the leasing company will factor in the projected residual value into the monthly cost.

I have a new 1.8 TSI Octavia Estate with DSG and have completed around 1000mls. About 400 of those miles have been on motorways. I would describe my driving style as quite "brisk". Where conditions allow I drive at 80-85mph on motorways (the instant read out on the maxidot shows quite a difference, in fuel consumption, at a constant speed of say 70mph compared to my usual driving speed). My overall average over the 1000 mls per maxidot is about 32mpg.

From what I read elsewhere on these forums I am expecting better economy when the engine has loosened up a little and the weather get warmer! I deliberately chose the larger engine for the performance (and drive accordingly) and am well aware that more careful driving could improve on the figures I am obtaining. Compared to an old 3.0l Ford Granada I used to have which returned less than 20mpg - this car is a revelation. If you have a chance to try out the DSG system you cannot fail to be impressed!

Edited by fbrj

Thanks everyone.

I have DSG and remain committed to it (knackered knees). I do about 20,000 miles pa of which 12000 are business miles pa.

I tried a 1.4DSG and it seemed absolutely fine but it was brand new (10 miles) and only for about 5 miles.

Good point about residual value of a DERV but I'm slightly taking a punt that 1.4 petrols will be the new diesels de nos jours! It may be become the default choice. Whether the lease company will take that view goodness only knows. Hope so. They have been pretty popular...

dill

I've only had it for just over a month but I'm seeing about 36/37 mpg out of my 1.8TSi. Strangely I seem to get slightly better economy driving round town (uncongested roads) than on the open road, maybe because I don't use the power so much.

Got a similar issue myself. Current manual 1.9TDI up for renewal in August (averaging 43.7mpg - most of my driving is short stop/start urban). I don't do more than 10,000 miles per year and I want the dsg box this time. At least the Octavia's got a decent manual shift, but 6 years of the slow and notchy Peugeot gearchange before it drove me up the wall!. Have narrowed replacement down to 1.4TSI with DSG or 1.6TDI with DSG.

I've done all the calculations with regard to BIK and fuel costs and using the published urban mpg figures for the two ('cos that's what I tend to average) the diesel will cost me an extra £69 per year in income tax, but will save me £397 per year over the petrol at 10,000 miles per year, or £794 at 20,000 miles per year.

I am very sceptical about the diesel's published figures, so using the 43.5 of the 1.9TDI instead as an average, the fuel savings are £251 and £501 respectively.

I can't get a lease quote on the 1.6TDI DSG yet as it's only just been announced, but given the difference between manual 1.4TSI and 1.6TDI rates, it looks to be around £18 per month extra (excluding VAT). That's £216 per year.

I'm not paying the lease, so the diesel is favourite. The DPF issue is another matter, but I'll sacrifice having to drive in a certain manner on occasions to regenerate it for the fuel savings! Then, at the end of the next 3 years, it's not my problem anyway.

Edited by themacster