Fabia II 1.4.TDI - ECU Re MAP for Fuel Efficiency

Hi all I bought my wife a Fabia II 1.4 TDI but actually wanted a Fabia Greenline but I would have had to wait three months for a new one. Any way lets get to the point. I have a Fabia VRS Mapped at PD-Tuning and whilst having 312mm Octavia VRS brakes fitted I enquired about the Fabia 1.4 TDI and the Greenline MPG. Dave the Mechanic said most Diesel Engine Tuners are now starting to run Maps on the normal 1.4 TDI and they are returning over 10 MPG more than the standard 1.4 TDI so nearing the Greenlines MPG

So at a one off cost of £120 you should get 10mpg more and the turbo should kick in earlier so not having to use the boot to push the car which again should save fuel. Does anyone else out there know of such Maps. Supposedly only three lines in the ECU software need changing to match the Greenline I know the car is for efficiency but for the sake of £120 quid within several refuels its paid for itself.

Edited by Davewhitfield

My Roomster 1.9td was remapped to 152bhp at Awesome Performance in Manchester. The rolling road only seemed to concentrate on what the car produced under full throttle, and I'm not convinced that there's any change to the engine behaviour during normal driving. Having said that, I did beat the fuel consumption set on the way to the garage when I was coming back home with the remapped car.

I have way too much of a sad interest in mpg's, I'll have to admit that my results are better this year than last, is it the remap ? is it just a looser engine with more miles on ? but if I don't beat 70mpg on the screen on my 17 mile daily commute to work then I'll be dissapointed.

I'd say keep your money in the bank and just slow down 10mph on the motorway.

A recent trip from Blackpool to Birmingham produced 72mpg on the way there, that was with some seriously careful cruising, on the way back I went as fast as humanly possibly without risking getting banned, got slowed a few times in traffic and roadworks 50 limits and recorded 54mpg. Proof that slowing down is the only real way to make a meaninful difference

Paul

I have had 71 MPG indicated average in my 1998 Octy 1.9 TDi 90 for my normal driving but recently I have been a little more 'vigorous' and more motorway driving than I normally do, and that has reduced to 52 MPG long term average. I have started to bring it back up again and my 'last journey' average was 60.3 MPG indicated (no real change on long term average). I have not done a full - full tank check for a while now so this is all based on the computer readout which I don't trust too much.

We had my wife's Fabia II 1.9PD remapped by R-Tech to around (IIRC 130-140PS) last year not long after we got it. The car felt immediately a lot more rapid and has got tremendous grunt and flexibility in 3rd gear, for example. I drive a REVO'd Octy II vRS TFSI, so I am not easily impressed - but the Fabia really is very quick. Economy is similar, possibly a tiny bit worse. The problem with having more power is that you tend to use it (even my wife does, and shes quite a steady driver) so any potential gain in economy is wiped out by using the extra performance.

Thanks for the replys and I think Haptmann is correct the more performance then your bound to use it.

The difference between the 1.4TDI and the Greenline is 8.5 MPG. So their must be some differences in the ECU Map.

If anyone out there has had a Fabia II 1.4 TDI mapped for Economy then please let me know the differnces in MPG and Performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about mapping but the Greenline has different gearing to give better mpg, along with being lowered, (15mm, I think). and a lower section added for aerodynamics.

Not only that but a filter for soot to keep it in a lower tax/co2 bracket (£35 anually). there are a few more tricks but these are the most prominent.

Edited by mrgf

Not sure about mapping but the Greenline has different gearing to give better mpg, along with being lowered, (15mm, I think). and a lower section added for aerodynamics.

Not only that but a filter for soot to keep it in a lower tax/co2 bracket (£35 anually). there are a few more tricks but these are the most prominent.

Yup, the Greenline also has skinnier ECO tyres and reduced weight due to less sound insulation etc IIRC.

Along with higher gearing ,lower suspension, a revised front spoiler and remapped ECU it gives marginally lower CO2, but the price is blunt performance, poorer ride and handling, and higher noise.

I know my dad went to DervDoctor and got a remap for fuel economy rather than power. The torque has been increased and the BHP slightly but it's mainly aimed at fuel economy for motorway use. He has told me that his urban MPG has suffered a bit but as most of his miles are done on the motorway, that is something he can live with.