Columbus Audio Settings

mannyo

I thought I would start a fresh thread for this.

I seem to be struggling with the audio settings on the columbus with standard factory speakers (not upgraded sound system). So I am looking to find a decent starting point rather than aimlessly adjusting settings.

So far, I have tried completely flat (to tinny), with the bass increased a couple of notches (better but still tinny).

Currently running with the Bass about 1/3 up past the centre, the mid is about 1/2 way down from centre and the high is about 1/4 way down from centre.

So what settings are you all using.

Also is there a loudness setting in the menus somewhere, might need to enable the hidden menu possibly?

Many Superb owners who paid extra for the sound system upgrade question whether it was a good buy as the standard set up is reported to be quite good. Playing around with the settings is all you can do to achieve a reasonable sound and as you point out, some of the settings seem to be a bit extreme!!

I have the upgraded system in my car and initially it was great but for the last 2 months the bass delivery in the drivers door has deteriorated poss due to flimsy door cards causing vibration. dealer ordered new speakers over 3 weeks ago!!.

My wifes Octy. (my previous car) has factory fit columbus with standard set up and it still sounds great when I get to hear it.

• 2 years later...

To say I'm dissapointed with the sound quality of the Columbus is an understatement - I'm gutted

The set up in my old Comfort trimmed Superb was imminently superior. This Columbus in my new motor is all over the shop. Like Manny did I've ended up with the high and mid range way way below the mid point and the bass at 75% just to try to stop it making my ears bleed. I remember cleaner sounding audio and tighter bass response in Ford Sierra's :-)

What's the crack here? Surely folks haven't been putting up with this rubbish?

Anyone know if this is a bug in an old firmware version or something?

I changed the front speakers and tweeters and it made an enormous difference. I don't think it is the Columbus but more likely the crap standard fit speakers and tweeters. I also fitted a high pass filter to control the tweeters a little better as they were totally overpowering before.

Once it had all run in it was very nice indeed.

There are some setting accessed via VCDS that account for the acoustics of the car (leather interior etc.) so a little experimentation might be in order with those settings.

I currently have it set to:

Bass: around 60%

Mid range: around 50%

Treble: around 70%

When cranked up it can shake the rear view mirror and door mirrors slightly

• 4 weeks later...

Mine set at 60 bass, 70 mid and 80 treble. But then, I like to hear "crisp" sounding music generally.

However, I've found most bassless probs can be overcome by changing the "tone" when using my mp3 player, iPhone etc via aux input.

Doesn't help radio though I'm afraid.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ua1l4a

I too have got sick of the ugpraded sound system especially after the rear door speaker blew only 2 months in. Anyway, I decided to upgrade the whole system so the car is getting the following done tomorrow:

Rockford Fosgate P3D410 10" Subwoofer

Rockford Fosgate T400-2 Channel Amplifier

FOCAL 165 VR3 front

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 Channel Amplifier

Focal 165A1 Component rear

Sound deadening front doors

Should sound a whole let better than before

• Like 1

having a few issues with the install, no signal from the Headunit to the amplifiers. Has anyone added an aftermarket amp to the RNS 510 unit before? Does it need to be coded through VCDS?